ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Java Fern Issue...

Registered Member

Exclamation Java Fern Issue...

java_fern_black.jpg

Few months back i bought java fern for first 2 months it was healthy and fine. After that brown algae took over and it took over all my plants badly and made my plants into this black color. Now i am using fertilizers daily. I am also using Phosguard since 2 weeks and my brown algae is reduced 80%. I would like to know would this Java fern recover or it is died?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Java Fern Issue...

Looks ok to me. Java fern is a strong plant real hard to kill. Though the temp in my discus tank did it in. It can’t handle the high temp.

Definitely will recover. Java Fern is pretty easy. It's one of those plants that only my wife can kill
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Java fern is such an overrated plant. One in a hundred looks decent; the rest look dirty, ratty and ghetto. They're like the cockroaches of aqua plants; sure they are hardy but do you really want them around?

I have some glued on the branches of a huge piece of drift wood. It is slow growing for sure but after being glued to those branches they have spread and grown taller. Temp in the tank is 82. I have some BHA in a few tanks that I'm fighting. It seems to prefer Java fern. These are not Discus tanks so I introduced SAEs and they took care of the problem.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The leaves in question most likely will not recover, but as long as the rhizome is undamaged it will produce new growth. Often the damaged leaves will spawn new plants off the tips... leave them connected until they have leaves and roots and then you can plant, tie or glue them to wood or rocks