ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Experience with Seachem Paraguard?

Default Experience with Seachem Paraguard?

Do Seachem Paraguard work well? Can it eradicate the diseases it claims or is it just a safety precaution for quarantine?

Default Re: Experience with Seachem Paraguard?

They don't list ingredients but I have read that it contains copper as an active ingredient and the rest is malachite green. I don't know if this is the case or not because the label doesn't tell you.

For Discus I would only use the medication for the specific problem I was treating. The standard ones I use are metro, PP and Levamisole. I would never throw something at them if I didn't know what was in it.

That said, I did just order some Paraguard for a parasite my blue shrimp. I read a scientific article on how to dose it and how well it works. For Discus no way.
    Mama Bear

Thanks for the info!

Real Name
    Bill G.

With all due respect to Liz, I used Paraguard to treat Ich w my discus a year or two ago wo incident. It worked well......I did follow their specific duration and dose directions exactly. My strain of Ich was apparently the temperature resistant type as I keep my tanks at 86-87 degrees all the time. Since I got rid of it, it has not come back and the fish were fine w it. According to Seachem, there is no copper in it. Seachem has a great customer service dept if one has questions and they do know their stuff. Bottom line, Paraguard is one of my ‘constant supply on hand’ meds and....honestly......I’ve come to trust them. Btw.....when I had Ich back then, it was the whole display tank that I had to treat. Paraguard only kills the free swimming stages....thus the duration of treatment.

Forgot to emphasize.....when temps are raised and one is using Paraguard, be sure to supply plenty of oxygenation as the O2 levels decrease in the water during treatment. Many such treatments do the same thing.......it’s not unique to Seachem’s Paraguard.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 07-14-2020 at 04:27 PM.

I've heard of heat resistant Ich but thank God I have never experienced it. It must have been hard for you to figure out what would work. I'm glad that you found something. I wish that they would let us know the active ingredients. BTW, I like Seachem products, too.
    Mama Bear

I got rid of ich from my discus by adding salt and high temp. They were gone and never came back. I have heard Seachem Paraguard to be really effective. Some say they see results within 24 hours to 48 hours where fish gain back their colour dramatically and starts acting healthy. However as Liz said if I know what is bothering my discus I would go for direct medications such as metro, potassium permanganate etc. that treats it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Bought 3 angels & after a few days one started hiding & not eating but after 3 days of PARAGUARD he was like new.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    With all due respect to Liz, I used Paraguard to treat Ich w my discus a year or two ago wo incident. It worked well......I did follow their specific duration and dose directions exactly. My strain of Ich was apparently the temperature resistant type as I keep my tanks at 86-87 degrees all the time. Since I got rid of it, it has not come back and the fish were fine w it. According to Seachem, there is no copper in it. Seachem has a great customer service dept if one has questions and they do know their stuff. Bottom line, Paraguard is one of my ‘constant supply on hand’ meds and....honestly......I’ve come to trust them. Btw.....when I had Ich back then, it was the whole display tank that I had to treat. Paraguard only kills the free swimming stages....thus the duration of treatment.

Forgot to emphasize.....when temps are raised and one is using Paraguard, be sure to supply plenty of oxygenation as the O2 levels decrease in the water during treatment. Many such treatments do the same thing.......it’s not unique to Seachem’s Paraguard.
    I've used it with discus and only to use as a 1-2hr bath outside of the main tank. I have not found any temp resistant Ich. My house has no AC I can tell you my fish experience temps into high 95+ into 100 degrees there is no ich that has ever survived that. High temp and salt all I ever use for ich. I use paraguard as a bath to try and knock off any unknown external parasites before quarantine

Sounds like that might be a good idea, Pitdogg2. I think I may do that from now on.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerschh2 View Post
    Bought 3 angels & after a few days one started hiding & not eating but after 3 days of PARAGUARD he was like new.
    Yes, it seems Seachem Paraguard is a genuine medicine. I have always heard good results from whoever used it.

Registered Member

It works good but beware you can burn gills with it so closely follow directions .... just a little more can hurt.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    Do Seachem Paraguard work well? Can it eradicate the diseases it claims or is it just a safety precaution for quarantine?
    It's just an ich treatment. I wouldn't use it for anything you wouldn't also use a formalin/malachite green product for.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    They don't list ingredients but I have read that it contains copper as an active ingredient and the rest is malachite green. I don't know if this is the case or not because the label doesn't tell you.

For Discus I would only use the medication for the specific problem I was treating. The standard ones I use are metro, PP and Levamisole. I would never throw something at them if I didn't know what was in it.

That said, I did just order some Paraguard for a parasite my blue shrimp. I read a scientific article on how to dose it and how well it works. For Discus no way.
    What's the article?

If you dig around on the Internet you can find a more detailed SDS that lists glutaraldehyde and malachite green as ingredients. Normally, I would avoid anything with glutaraldehyde but in this case it's probably no more toxic than the formaldehyde in typical ich treatments.

I'm sorry I can't remember where it was. I just googled around and found it.
    Mama Bear