ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Dixie:

Registered Member

Default Dixie:

This is my first time owning Discus. Always had angels for years with no issues. I recently purchased 6 3.5” Discus. Everything was going great but I now have one Discus not eating, this is his 3rd day not eating. All six swim together and hang together with no signs of aggression. The one just doesn’t eat. Doesn’t hide just hangs with the group. I’m at a loss of what to do or what to look for. I have moved plants around. Water is testing good, temp is 86, feed at least 5 times a day, vacuum with 20 percent water change every other day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Default Re: Dixie:

Hi! There are more experience discus keepers here than me.

But I have raised small discus to decent sizes. I would advice you what worked for me. If any of my discus stopped eating, First thing I would do is to increase the temperature. You can increase it to 88 to 90 over time (not suddenly because it will shock them) and keep it for atleast 1 to 2 weeks. This should cause him to start eating.

Higher temperature increases metabolism and enables them to fight whatever is bothering them. It's great you have noticed it early. You can start with the temp. treatment. If it doesn't work we can move to more complicated treatments.

Registered Member

You may try different foods offered at different locations in the tank as well. As you know some discus are surface feeders and some are bottom feeders. You also know that a fish can live for weeks without eating. I do not know about angelfish but discus have grinders in the mouths. They will take food in and then spit it out. Mostly not because they do not like it but because they are making it smaller hopefully to eat at a later time. If they can find it. But that is where bottom feeding discus come in. Mix three, four, or five different foods together. I mix TetraColor, Bug Bites, fdbw, and freeze dry beef heart together. During the day I also feed just the freeze dry black worms. Sometimes they get frozen blood worms, frozen shrimp, or frozen beef heart. Yet there are a few of my fish that will not eat all that I offer. Which is why they get an assortment.

Real Name
    Brendan

We need a few more details and photos of the tank would be helpful. Tank size, substrate depth, etc. for now, I’d increase water changes to 50% daily.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tom

Yes this happens. Raising the temp is the best way and than give it time. I recently bought 8 and one of mine stoped eating too. Yesterday I raised the temp to 86 and this morn I saw it grinding food. This happens give it time. Next you may want to get a qt tank ready. But first time. This also happened with my last group. The one there didn’t eat for almost a month. Than it did and all is fine. I never medicated.

Registered Member

Thank you so much. I currently have temp at 88, hope this works..