AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: mixing discus fry from 3 different pairs ? advice needed!

Registered Member

Default mixing discus fry from 3 different pairs ? advice needed!

Hello All,

I have 3 pairs that spawned at simmilar times. First batch is 4 weeks old, next patch 2 weeks old and 3rd patch 10 days.

Ideally I would not have moved the 3rd patch until they had gotten a little bigger but the parents both fell ill and had to be removed.

I currently have all 3 batches in a 75 gallon tank. But this 75 gallon tank is plumbed into a 800 gallon system that has all adult tanks on a massive filter system, with lots of water changes (50-100 gallons per day).

I am wondering if this denisty is too high for the tank? My logic was that the smaller fish would school and watch the example of the bigger fry. What is the stocking density of discus fry for 1 month old --> 2 months old and 3 months old? (plan would be to sell off by month 3)

I am noticing that there is strange schooling behavior to the sides of the tank. A picture below to indicate. The airstones were only added to the corners of the tank because the fish where swimming ontop of each other, and at times it looked like there was little movement and the fish were 'ontop of each other'.
    So the addition of the airstones was to generate some movement in these corners which has led to the fish looking a little healthier then before.

But anythoughts as to why the fish are schooling like this? Shadows, stress of parental seperation? (the 3rd batch were seperated yesterday and the 2nd batch 2 days ago, the 1st batch seem happy to eat in the middle of the tank but they were seperated about a week ago)image of fry.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Holynehpets; 07-15-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: mixing discus fry from 3 different pairs ? advice needed!

Water currents and tank temperature variations would be two reasons.

Try a power head instead of an air stone.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

You can mix but it looks like different strains, larger fry appears to be Pigeon and some non-pigeons. Here might be the problem
    the Pigeons has a faster growth rate so it's recommended that this strain be seperated.

Cliff

Registered Member

I have attached a couple of images of what the fry looked like when I came downstairs this morning before the lights came on. The amonia levels are 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ph 6.5.
    The next reply has a couple of images of the fry after I moved the airstone.

Is this tight clustering normal behavior of discus fry in the absence of parents?

I have changed the current flow and the effect is still the same.

I have not yet culled off any of these fish. Could it be that some of the fish that have deformities that are unable to swim properly are 'lying on the bottom' and other fish are schooling closly together?

Again any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated!

Steve

IMG_2287.jpgIMG_2288.jpg

Registered Member

And here is a couple of images after I moved the airstone, showing the fish would rather swim in a current then move location.

If this behavior continues, would it be better to leave an airstone that forces the fish to move instead of 'lying ontop of each other' ? Or is this likly to make the fish waste too much energy and weaken them? Surely having fish lying ontop of other fish is not a good sign?

Regards,

Steve

IMG_2289.jpgIMG_2291.jpgIMG_2292.jpgIMG_2293.jpg

Registered Member

Liz had an idea for you. A wave maker will create a current. Discus they are by nature a river dweller and by design are current living fish. I would think that you would first want a current established in your grow out tank and also the aeration. The wave maker if pointed toward the surface accomplishes both the current and increased surface area for greater oxygen availability. I don't know about the tight schooling but I do know that discus are schooling fish and like any school of fish there is safety in numbers. Herring and the like being an example of this.

I didn't think of a wave maker because I've never had the need for one. It sounds like it's what needed. Those last pics don't look normal to me at all but I can come up with any better idea.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Definitely something wrong going. Might want to add some acriflavine this should break
    up the schooling in 5 minuties.

Cliff

I am always grateful when you come on and offer your suggestions, Cliff. You have so dang much experience and knowledge. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I am always grateful when you come on and offer your suggestions, Cliff. You have so dang much experience and knowledge. Thanks.
    Thanks, Liz,
    I'm always glad to help. We are in this together.

Cliff

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

What's your suspicion Cliff? Why are they clumping and why acriflavine? Teach us your ways sensei...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    What's your suspicion Cliff? Why are they clumping and why acriflavine? Teach us your ways sensei...
    Hi Dan,
    My suspicion is that diseases were transfer from the sick breeding pair either from the fry to another tank with existing two sets of fry, or
    diseases from the two sets were are not compatible with the third batch. Does this make any sense. The clumping is usually because allergic
    slime or skin problem. Adding acriflavine is like putting lotion to a sun burn, this works almost right away. One last item mentioned fry having difficulties swimming or laying flat
    on their sides are usually because of blatter problem they are call sliders.

Cheers!
    Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 07-17-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Cliff in regards the acriflavine any recommendations for a product ? I am in Canada so any thoughts as to a product that contains acriflavine? Or a source to purchase you would recommend (I.e herbal store, whole foods etc )?

Regards,

Steve

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks for the info Cliff...you're a wealth of knowledge and experience mate...SD members far and wide have benefited from the input your freely share...hats off to you mate!