AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this beast?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: What is this beast?

Just think, you willl have your own dinosaur in your house! I wonder if they are that old? They rival the look of alligators and monitor lizards who look like dinos too. Wonder what you feed it? Pleco wafers????
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I know Barb, pretty awesome hey! This species is listed as "omnivorous detrivore". They sift and eat decaying plant matter, insect larvae, crustaceans, and even small fish fry if they catch them. My own pet dino!! Cool

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Was able to do an image search...Answered my own question...it's an oxydoras niger, aka ripsaw catfish! It's native to the Amazon basin...
    It's an inhabitant of a 500 gallon (10'*3'*2.5') tank I will be inheriting. I saw it out for the first time today when cleaning the tank. I wondered who was moving the 50# rocks in the tank, lol!
    Danny, you are inheriting a 500 gallon tank. Talking about wow...fuss up my friend and need pics and details. lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    ...They rival the look of alligators and monitor lizards who look like dinos too. Wonder what you feed it? Pleco wafers????...
    Discus
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Daniel

Lol Willie!

Pat I clean this tank for my bro in law's mom twice a month. Since her mom passed recently she will be spending 6+ months/yr at her place in Florida and so she has been looking for a new home for her tank & fish. The gift is conditional to keep most of her current stock, and she has very generously offered me the entire set up. She has had many of them 6-10yrs. It is currently a mix of lake Malawi & Tanganyika cichlids with quite a few cool and obscure catfish, such as the ripsaw I profiled in this thread. With her permission I will be removing a bunch of large aggressive zebra cichlids to a fish shelter in our area. So the tank will remain an African cichlid/catfish display probably for quite a few years yet. The dimensions are 10' long, 3' wide and 2.5' deep. It has dual overflows, twin acrylic sumps with titanium heaters and twin return pumps. We have just purchased a new home on 9.4 acres in the country and this tank will be the centre piece of our lounge area. Pics will follow once it's in place. I anticipate probably September ish. Here it is as is right now...

20181219_150105.jpg

I am a blessed man!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Yes you are Danny and congrats on the tank and new house, how exciting. A suggestion on the tank move. Consider having it professionally moved or carefully plan the move down to the last step. You want this to go well.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

That's a beauty of a tank, Daniel! Truly, an amazing gift.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Wow Dan...Now that's a tank....long enough to cast lures from one end and see how hey swim for you
    Seriously though, congratulation on the purchase of your new home, and i'm sure this tank is going to look great in it.
    Good luck with the big move
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

How many minutes do you recon that it would take one of those fish swimming at full speed to travel from one end of that tank to the other?

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks friends! We're very excited about the new house and getting back into country life again.

Re moving the tank Pat, thanks for your advice. I will be coordinating it with a group of strong young men using all the appropriate equipment. Back in Australia I ordered a custom 9.25'*2.5*2' (380ish gallons) in 15mm glass, weighing over 400#'s. A friend welded a steel square tube stand and 8 of us moved that beast from the tank builder's ware house into position on the stand. It was a hair raising but successful move, but I did learn a few things from that experience about moving large aquariums. The move will be planned out in advance, and we'll have all the necessary straps and suction lift devices to do it safely. I know it will be a mission, but this won't be my first rodeo moving a mega tank. If you have any advice or things you believe are crucial to the process please feel free to share them here. I value your experience and welcome your input!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I have a 450 tank & had 6 guys to help. Be sure of door openings that was the biggest headache to get thru. Make sure stand is secure.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Harry!! Being 30" high we will take tank thru the only door laying in it's back. But I do need to measure the doorway because the stand is 36" wide on it's narrowest side...I sure hope it's a 36" entrance door...may need to take front door off its hinges...

Registered Member

Thank you Harry!! Being 30" high we will take tank thru the only door laying in it's back. But I do need to measure the doorway because the stand is 36" wide on it's narrowest side...I sure hope it's a 36" entrance door...may need to take front door off its hinges...
    Or you could simply knock out a wall, Dano, and then you could run the forklift tank, stand, buzz-saw catfish and all right through the foyer, through the butler pantry, and right up to the day lounge. Do the fish come with the tank?

Real Name
    Daniel

Haha, funny stuff Norm...but I don't think so, lol!
    The condition of the gift is the fish come too live with me as well...a trade off I'm cool with...and I am able to give away a bunch of the large aggressive zeb's which will be good

Registered Member

Haha, funny stuff Norm...but I don't think so, lol!
    The condition of the gift is the fish come too live with me as well...a trade off I'm cool with...and I am able to give away a bunch of the large aggressive zeb's which will be good
    Outstanding! To that I will say, Book 'em, Danno!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast