AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello from Alabama

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Hello from Alabama

Just found this forum after a getting the aquarium bug again. Great place and very informative.

While in graduate school (15 years ago) I bought the Alexrod discus book which inspired me to try my hand at a few discus. Looking back, it's a miracle that I managed to blindly keep between 2 -4 discus alive and in relatively good condition in a 29 gallon. I had only basic knowledge from other more common tanks I kept. When I read here of people doing multiple water changes per week, I just laugh at myself back then. Hahaha. I guess they learned to live with how I kept them.

Seeing all these crazy fish and tanks has me wanting to get another one going. Problem with my current house (and wife) is no real good place to set one up properly. I'll figure it out as I continue to read and learn.

While I'm dreaming, I'll share with the only people who might understand ... I know my poor wife won't! ha I would love to build a house one day that incorporates a very large "in wall" tank with a room behind it to service it. I envision a 600-800 gallon tank with a monolithic school of wild, or wild crossed discus and a community of smaller cichlids, catfish, and tetras. A man has to have his dreams, right?

Anyway's, hello from Alabama ...

-David

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Hello from Alabama

Hi from Australia, and welcome to Simply Discus.

If you are thinking of setting up a tank, have a good look through our beginners section, where you'll pick up lots of good information. You will see how they like being in largish groups and how regular water changes helps them grow to their full potential, and more importantly good health. Its really up to you, and what you seek from the hobby.

Its great that you've had some experience in the past with discus, and if you have any pictures from then please share. I like your dream of hopefully having a huge built in tank, and the way you have described it paints a pretty picture. Good luck with that...Dreams can come true
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I need to dig some pictures up. I did in fact take some 35mm pics when they were in good condition. I'm going to dig back through my old stuff and see if I can find them. If I do, I will scan them in and post them. My memory is that I grew them to perhaps 3.5" or so before my bonehead self allowed them to get some sort of disease that I couldn't cure. I can't remember the details of how they ended. I prefer to remember them in their prime ... when all 4 were in the planted tank, plants were long and flowing, water was clean, and the discus colors were bright. One day again ....

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I think we've all experienced sometime similar when starting out with discus. Hopefully some knowledge will help you obtain some even better results.

Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Good luck with your quest.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Found them! On first try!

Circa 2004

https://imgur.com/a/B1mnaFO

https://imgur.com/a/4VUr1RR

We'll see if these will post as a picture

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

You can see the algae growing on the plants! hahaha

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Just as you described it.

Nice work

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Try again

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/4VUr1RR" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/4VUr1RR"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/B1mnaFO" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/B1mnaFO"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hi from Mississippi neighbor! What a shame you hadn't found us back then. The tank was lovely. Your new dream tank sounds much more awesome. I wish you luck. I hope that in the mean time you can find a place in your current house for a smaller tank. Surely you could find a place for a little 55. You never know, once your wife sees the tank and fish she may fall in love.

Keep reading around and post any questions you have. We love helping people get of to a good start and raise big beautiful healthy Discus.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Welcome to the forum. Agree with the above. On your way to a 600g tank start with a 55/75g and 6 healthy discus. Read and learn. If your wife ever saw a discus pair with fry, I am sure that she will be smitten.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I am scheming now ...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

David,
    I too do not have a tank yet. The last aquariums I owned, was when I owned a Pet Store in west Mobile. We had fresh and brackish fish, reptiles and parrots. My pride and joy was a 150g filled with cichlids.
    Anyway, we're getting ready to move to the Gadsden area, where are you in this lovely state?

Thanks
    Rich