ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus in Stress

Registered Member

Default Discus in Stress

Hello everyone

Greetings of the day

I have bought 6 discus in a 60 gallon tank a week back but they are still scared. They come out of the corner eat some food but runs to the corner again. I have tried using stress heal medicine that didnt help. They get more scared if i turn the lights on

Can you help me, what should i do to make them comfortable

Thanks

Default Re: Discus in Stress

There is nothing to worry because they are new to your tank. Discus are usually very skittish in the beginning but will swim around your tank after a while. I had some discus hiding for months (eating the food then hiding again)

However, where is the location of your tank? Is it in a busy area? Are there children playing around? Keep those factors in mind. Because you would want a stress free environment for discus or else they get stressed.

They will usually get used to your tank but check them out frequently. Keep going infront of them. But don't scare them. If they are very uncomfortable around you then leave, come back again later. Why? Because they will firstly associate you with food and secondly when you are coming again and again and they are not harmed or threatened, they will consider your approach to be safe. Not only yours but anyone coming towards them. And yes, turn off the lights for the time being or keep it very low.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi, are you doing water changes? If yes how much and how often. If not you added a large bioload to your tank which generally caused a mini-cycle. Could you please check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the measurements here.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Its in my bedroom, ya i must admit there is people moving around but that's normal for my home and i cant stop it. I stay near the tank only when i feed them and they all are around 3 inches

Registered Member

I am changing water 20-30% daily, using anti chlorine, i had set discus in the same tank but i replaced those with this new stock from a reputed farm