Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these eggs viable?

Registered Member

Default Are these eggs viable?

Parameters at time of spawn

PH: 7.6
    TDS: 57/60
    Temp: 28.6C

First pic is an hour after they stopped spawning. Second pic is 36 hours later. The parents, well actually the male, has always eaten the eggs soon after so I've taken the cage route. They look slightly darker but I'm not exactly sure if they are fertilized.

First hour
    https://imgur.com/xdpqJIq

37 Hours later
    https://imgur.com/kxFvwAp

The pair are Blue Diamonds and I'm understand that different strains have different colour eggs and in turn, different colours during development. I'm not not sure so figured I'd seek some advice from the more experienced.

Thanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Are these eggs viable?

Hi Rolla, the eggs look the same in the two pictures to me. Generally viable eggs will turn dark at the 24 hour mark when the eggs are visible as two little spots but I am far from an expert. Let's see what others think.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Parameters at time of spawn

PH: 7.6
    TDS: 57/60
    Temp: 28.6C

First pic is an hour after they stopped spawning. Second pic is 36 hours later. The parents, well actually the male, has always eaten the eggs soon after so I've taken the cage route. They look slightly darker but I'm not exactly sure if they are fertilized.

First hour
    https://imgur.com/xdpqJIq

37 Hours later
    https://imgur.com/kxFvwAp

The pair are Blue Diamonds and I'm understand that different strains have different colour eggs and in turn, different colours during development. I'm not not sure so figured I'd seek some advice from the more experienced.

Thanks.
    The eggs appear normal to me. I have a slightly larger spawning at about 12 hours newer than yours. Both are the same color but I do notice a few unfertilized eggs in your batch. Did you notice the KH of your water? And when was your last water change? Otherwise the ph, TDS, and temperature are good. With regard to Pat. Remove the "far" from Pat's disclaimer. For comparison I am watching a spawn about 30 hours old the water parameters are 7.6 ph, TDS 200, KH 50, and temperature 81 degrees.

Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for replying here.

Two differing opinions but it's hard to tell from just two pics. I've seen the colour vary across strains so I wasn't exactly sure where things stand so i figured I'd ask. In 5 hours or so I guess we'll know for sure since that's the 48 hour mark.

I didn't pay attention to my KH or MY GH. I'm using RODI so they both start out at a reading of 0-50ppm

I'm remineralize the water with seachem equilibrium to move the TDS from 14 to 57/60 but didn't bother testing the GH/KH as I didn't think they were important. I can give you max reading for both as I have a drum of remineralized RO for my main aquarium ready to go. But these will be slightly higher readings.

Registered Member

To soon to tell wait till 2 1/2 to 3 days after spawning. Yes, some have different color, light
    color wigglers for albinos, a little darker color for Pigeons, and dark color for turquoise and etc.

Cliff

Registered Member

I'm not sure if they're viable, turning dark and then exploding into fuzz, which would mean they're having trouble hatching. Or if they're just not viable.

Any how I took another pic at 46 hours. I changed the hue so it's easier to see the "darker" eggs.

https://imgur.com/ne0sYQH

Discus spawning has to be one of if not the most complex conundrums I've seen in this hobby. It's a lot of fun and anticipation. I wouldn't change it for anything...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    I'm not sure if they're viable, turning dark and then exploding into fuzz, which would mean they're having trouble hatching. Or if they're just not viable.

Any how I took another pic at 46 hours. I changed the hue so it's easier to see the "darker" eggs.

https://imgur.com/ne0sYQH

Discus spawning has to be one of if not the most complex conundrums I've seen in this hobby. It's a lot of fun and anticipation. I wouldn't change it for anything...
    The fuss are fungus development, still have to wait another day for full hatching. Look closer some of the viable eggs may look kind of puffy.

Good Luck
    Cliff

Registered Member

From everything I have read hatching takes 48-55 hours max. I checked again at 55 hours and saw nothing except an increasing amount of fungus eggs. So imagine my surprise at the 60th hour when I turned on the light and was startled by this...

https://imgur.com/r4NIkKW

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice one! That's awesome

Real Name
    Tom

Well done ! Good luck on the attaching part ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Right on target, count another approximately
    100 hours for full attachment.

Cliff

Congratulations. You always remember your first time.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks a bunch guys and gals. I've never had a "successful" spawn until now and because of that, my research in this area is lacking. And so I have a few next step questions.

When @cliffsdiscus says "Another 100 hours for full attachment." Are we talking the 60 hours to hatch plus an additional 40 hours to get to 100 hours?

Or

60 hours plus an additional 100 hours (160 hours total) for free swimming/attachment?

I have a few more quick questions regarding water changes but those are less urgent.

It takes 3 days before they start trying to free swim and one more day before they are for sure attached.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

My understanding is that attachment day is their birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast