AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: listless discus

Silver Member

Default listless discus

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    3 days ago

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Fish staying in 1 corner of the tank, listless.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

no mediation

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    72 gallon, 5 years established, 3 adult discus , 2 green cories

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    60% every 2 days with aged tap water

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    5 years established, sand substrate, 1 inch

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Age water for 24 – 48 hours. Ph swing 7.4 to 7.6

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Seachem seed, I dose the tank before w/c. ¼ tsp as directed

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___82__

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _less than 5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __YES__

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing added recently

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

FDBW and discus pellets twice a day

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them

Capture.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Registered Member

Default Re: listless discus

Hey,

I would try adding some salt to the tank 1 tbsp per 10 gallons and up my tank temp to 88 degrees.

If things don't improve after that you might have to try medication but there are other folks on here much more suited to tell you what to try.

Usually clean water, heat and salt can fix most things.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Tom

I’m with Tony. Raise the temp do water changes daily. Not so sure on salt yet. First do those things and see what else s recomended. Also vacume out your substrate during water changes. Everything your allready doing is correct but the temp. Bring it up slowly and see if anything happens as it goes up. Like 2* a day. Are those all 3 fish or just one? S there anything else in the tank? Have you added anything new?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’m with Tony. Raise the temp do water changes daily. Not so sure on salt yet. First do those things and see what else s recomended. Also vacume out your substrate during water changes. Everything your allready doing is correct but the temp. Bring it up slowly and see if anything happens as it goes up. Like 2* a day. Are those all 3 fish or just one? S there anything else in the tank? Have you added anything new?

Silver Member

I’m with Tony. Raise the temp do water changes daily. Not so sure on salt yet. First do those things and see what else s recomended. Also vacume out your substrate during water changes. Everything your already doing is correct but the temp. Bring it up slowly and see if anything happens as it goes up. Like 2* a day. Are those all 3 fish or just one? S there anything else in the tank? Have you added anything new?
    I vacuum the substrate every w/c. Only the 1 fish is affected. The only other things in the tank are a breeding cone and a small cave decor. I will raise the temp 2 degrees a day and daily w/cs and see the results.

thanks
    Last edited by jim LI; 07-24-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Silver Member

thanks for all the responses

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Jim does the fish in question get picked on by the other 2 discus? Are the other 2 a pair?
    You mentioned what you feed, but does the fish pictured get/eat food? It looks to have lost a lot of condition down the lateral line. Perhaps from bullying at feeding time, perhaps it has internal parasites of some sort??
    If it's not sick, and just not getting enough food, a fix could be to QT then add a few more adult discus to your 72gal...

Silver Member

the other fish are not a breeding pair. the sick fish used to be the one picking on the other 2, not much aggression in the tank in general. at feeding time, i stick 2 pieces of FDBW on oppososite ends of the tank../ the sick fish does get attentive at feeding time and will nibble the cube a bit, then go back to the corner.. i can qt it for a bit to see if that perks it up. i had planned on getting more fish,, thanks for the reply

Silver Member

This is an update and an ask for advice. I lost the fish mentioned here last week. Over night, I lost a second fish that showed no sign of stress previously. I have 1 fish left as well as 2 green cories in the tank. My parameters are the same as mentioned above. Are there any other tests I should do to figure out what could happen?

thanks,
    Jim

Registered Member

I did not read all of this but do you have more than one tank where you could leave this one fish to observe it for several weeks? If you are going to add more fish you could buy from a forum sponsor at the ratio of 1 fish for each 7 to 10 gallons and keep them separate. By leaving the lone fish in the tank that it is now in you might learn if it is something in that tank that is causing the problem. Or you could put all of your fish into another tank and then tear the tank down, sterilize both it and the filter replace the water and put the fish back in and then see what happens. Just a thought but not sure if it would be a solution.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I did not read all of this but do you have more than one tank where you could leave this one fish to observe it for several weeks? If you are going to add more fish you could buy from a forum sponsor at the ratio of 1 fish for each 7 to 10 gallons and keep them separate. By leaving the lone fish in the tank that it is now in you might learn if it is something in that tank that is causing the problem. Or you could put all of your fish into another tank and then tear the tank down, sterilize both it and the filter replace the water and put the fish back in and then see what happens. Just a thought but not sure if it would be a solution.
    Thanks for the reply. i am leaving the fish in this tank, doing daily w/cs and watching its behavior. so far the fish is acting normally. i will also slowly start changing my bio media for new media. the media i have i haven't changed in 5 years. just rinsed in tank water once every 2 months. i have 2 eheim 2217s on the tank

Real Name
    Tom

Jim you’ve had these discus for 5years? Just strange for this to happen after so long. The first discus pic the fish has a divot in it head. Was that always there? Do you have a uv steralizer in the tank? I never change my bio media. What are you using?

Silver Member

Jim you’ve had these discus for 5years? Just strange for this to happen after so long. The first discus pic the fish has a divot in it head. Was that always there? Do you have a uv steralizer in the tank? I never change my bio media. What are you using?
    The divot was there for a couple of years. it never got worse, so i didn't think anything of it. i do not have a sterilizer on my tank. i am using eheim substrat and seachem matrix

Silver Member

i just thought of something,, i have a brute barrel that i use to age my water. i have not cleaned that since i got it. 4 years ago.. since i dose the tank when i do wcs, is it possible the barrel has some contamination in it from the municipal water system?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Jim I have heard of people getting a slime build up in their aging containers, but I'm not sure of it can be attributed to disease. The chlorination/chlormination of municipal water is to prevent pathogens from passing through the system to the end user. I would think that anytime you refill with fresh municipal water the chlorine would act as a cleaner in your barrel, but I would be happy for my hypothesis to be wrong or disproven. Let's see what the community has to say...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast