ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Attatchment issues ?

Registered Member

Default Attatchment issues ?

So this is my first time with viable fry and at this stage the discus wont allow the fry to attach. They seemed dedicated to keeping the fry on the bottom of the aquarium floor and hovering above. WHen the fry swim up to attach they repeat this process. Or swim away, or move their fins to violently and unintentionally force them away.

Are there any tips you can give to aid the attachment process. Although there are fry in the tank, the pair are doing the shaky dance routine which indicates another spawn could be imminent.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Attatchment issues ?

How strong is your lighting. Try dimming or turning off the lights (just using natural or a room light).
    How strong is the current in the tank? What filtration?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post

So this is my first time with viable fry and at this stage the discus wont allow the fry to attach. They seemed dedicated to keeping the fry on the bottom of the aquarium floor and hovering above. WHen the fry swim up to attach they repeat this process. Or swim away, or move their fins to violently and unintentionally force them away.

Are there any tips you can give to aid the attachment process. Although there are fry in the tank, the pair are doing the shaky dance routine which indicates another spawn could be imminent.

Registered Member

Hey Fljones

I figured light may be an issue so bought some cheap decorative aquarium led lights which are adjustable. I'm currently using some T5's. The filtration is a seeded sponge filter but I don't think it's the best choice. I avoided the double black sponge variety in favour of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UEETEK-Corn...upplies&sr=1-4

I replaced 90% of it with media from the filter but it doesn't stay in place. I'm open to recommendations for tried and tested sponge filters. That aside, I use a fluval canister for the tank but I'm not sure when to switch to the seeded sponge filter. Immediately after the spawn, when the eggs hatch and start to spasm in place etc etc

Real Name
    Frank

Sponges work.
    I would turn off the lights. Keep a night-light type fixture on in the room.

If the pair decide to spawn again (cleaning off a surface), the fry will probably be eaten. Again, it can be a learning process for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Hey Fljones

I figured light may be an issue so bought some cheap decorative aquarium led lights which are adjustable. I'm currently using some T5's. The filtration is a seeded sponge filter but I don't think it's the best choice. I avoided the double black sponge variety in favour of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UEETEK-Corn...upplies&sr=1-4

I replaced 90% of it with media from the filter but it doesn't stay in place. I'm open to recommendations for tried and tested sponge filters. That aside, I use a fluval canister for the tank but I'm not sure when to switch to the seeded sponge filter. Immediately after the spawn, when the eggs hatch and start to spasm in place etc etc

What size tank are they in? I mostly use normal sponge filters. When I start a new tank I move one of the seeded sponges to the new tank, but I have big tanks that use up to 3 big sponges so I always have one available. Have you checked the water parameters in your breeding tank. You should and you should let us know.

When I've had problems with attachment I've lowered the water level to just above the dorsal fins of the pair and lower the light level. They do just fine with only ambient light from the room they're in.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Sponges work.
    I would turn off the lights. Keep a night-light type fixture on in the room.

If the pair decide to spawn again (cleaning off a surface), the fry will probably be eaten. Again, it can be a learning process for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What size tank are they in? I mostly use normal sponge filters. When I start a new tank I move one of the seeded sponges to the new tank, but I have big tanks that use up to 3 big sponges so I always have one available. Have you checked the water parameters in your breeding tank. You should and you should let us know.

When I've had problems with attachment I've lowered the water level to just above the dorsal fins, for attachment, of the pair and lower the light level. They do just fine with only ambient light from the room they're in.
    The pair are in a 170ish Liter 44G. I lowered the tank to half but not to just above their dorsal since they get skittish if they ever touch the surface. I'll bring it as close as possible.

I got this light earlier this week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm guessing I should adjust the spectrum to the point where the discus are the darkest "objects" in the tank? I figured this would happen naturally just by having a light coloured background and sides. I'll post pics for the idea lighting later to see if there is a particular hue/coverage/spectrum you recommend?
    Last edited by Rolla P; 07-24-2020 at 04:25 PM.