ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 3 Discus alone in a 100 liters - 40 galloon tank, fine?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Default 3 Discus alone in a 100 liters - 40 galloon tank, fine?

Dear All

Please let me know if just having 3 discus fishes in my 40 galloon bare bottom would be fine for a long term?

Video below:

https://youtu.be/zPBnrZ-3q-A

Registered Member

Default Re: 3 Discus alone in a 100 liters - 40 galloon tank, fine?

Quote Originally Posted by madhan1979 View Post
    Dear All

Please let me know if just having 3 discus fishes in my 40 galloon bare bottom would be fine for a long term?

Video below:

https://youtu.be/zPBnrZ-3q-A
    Sure, but four or even 5 would be better as long as you keep up with the waterchanges. Might get a little pecking order/breeding aggression as they get older with only three. Keep in mind though -- your end goal should not be to keep only 3 discus longterm...this is not a big enough school for them to feel naturally comfortable. In fact, they look a little unnaturally timid in the video, but they could just be mellow at the moment. Why not throw 2 or 3 more amateurs in there right now, then keep an eye on them for 6 months? They'll be much more happier. You can always remove later to lighten the load or remove overly assertive fish.

Registered Member

Default Re: 3 Discus alone in a 100 liters - 40 galloon tank, fine?

I'll second what Oxboy has said. And you may add a branch of wood in order to provide a sense of security to those fish. It looks that you have one male and two female. The Red/White suspected male, the Scribble suspect female, the third maybe male. The problem with keeping three is if two pair they tag-team the third. Two more fish would help to defuse the should it occur and also give you a decent shot at getting a breeding pair if you should like to have one.