ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants - Real & Fake

Registered Member

Default Re: Plants - Real & Fake

I tried the plastic plants, and still have a few of them, a few years ago but I took them out because I got tired of taking them out in order to wipe off the algae that was accumulating on them.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Once upon a time a long time ago a friend of mine was banned from this forum forever for being rude to a woman who was making a Barbie doll themed Discus tank. This is a true story. He was an international Discus judge! But this was far from his first offence here. He's one of the ones I respected who are no longer here for one reason of another. I miss him.
    That is a bummer, for sure.
    I personally can only imagine how a Barbie Doll theme would look, but hey, if it is your tank, in your house, you can make it look as you wish.
    Definitely not something to be rude about. He must have had some underlying issues himself?
    Who knows.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I tried the plastic plants, and still have a few of them, a few years ago but I took them out because I got tired of taking them out in order to wipe off the algae that was accumulating on them.
    That is when they start to look their best, when the algae starts to grow on them!
    I don't wipe it off. I take them outside and spray them down.
    Again, easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    I personally can only imagine how a Barbie Doll theme would look, but hey, if it is your tank, in your house, you can make it look as you wish.
    Definitely not something to be rude about. He must have had some underlying issues himself?
    Who knows.
    He was a Discus purist.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Who knows.
    One of my associates at work tells me that she has more than one thousand Barbie dolls. I wonder if she would be willing to submerged a few of them into a fish tank? I too wonder if there is a scuba Barbie in her collection? Now that I think about this she too resembles a Barbie doll. Hmmmm. Does she in fact have a collection of mini mes? I must find out today.

Real Name
    Tom

Well trying not to be rude . A Barbie doll theme is still better than bare bottom .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well trying not to be rude . A Barbie doll theme is still better than bare bottom .
    Bare bottom tends to be on the ugly side when one considers all of the wires, thermostats, and filters that are visual. But functional especially for breeding and water changes. I would prefer a planted tank but the maintenance is more than I want to deal with.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Bare bottom tends to be on the ugly side when one considers all of the wires, thermostats, and filters that are visual. But functional especially for breeding and water changes. I would prefer a planted tank but the maintenance is more than I want to deal with.
    We love our BB tank.
    However, I do have to fight the urge to vacuum it every hour

Registered Member

We love our BB tank.
    However, I do have to fight the urge to vacuum it every hour
    Air drop a squadron of gold fish in there, Vinni. My understanding is they would take care of that bottom accumulation in short order.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Air drop a squadron of gold fish in there, Vinni. My understanding is they would take care of that bottom accumulation in short order.
    Plop and drop!

No, I am very happy with the way the goldfish (Rob) is keeping my discus tank downstairs clean.
    And I do love fancy fantail goldfish indeed. However I would only do 1 per tank.

The display tank upstairs will be reaping the benefit of a gold fish very, very soon.

Have I said that I love fancy fantail goldfish???
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 07-28-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Registered Member

IMO, and after a scotch or two - plastic plants are cheesy

Registered Member

Although, a bare bottom Barbie would be most rude. Oh! Oh! I cannot wait until I can tell my associate at work about the Barbie theme aquarium. I must find out if there is a scuba Barbie.

Check this out, Vinni! https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Dolphi...40821913&psc=1 This is perfect! Hook up that chest (get you mind out of the gutter...the treasure chest, guys) with an air stone so that the lid will fill with air, lid opens, air bubble escapes, lid closes. Nice! All of the Magic Treasure Playset set works. You've got a couple of fish for the discus to bat around. A coral reef complete with sea critters and Barbie herself skinny legs and all. All for $21.95!
    Last edited by peewee1; 07-28-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Check this out, Vinni! https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Dolphi...40821913&psc=1 This is perfect! Hook up that chest (get you mind out of the gutter...the treasure chest, guys) with an air stone so that the lid will fill with air, lid opens, air bubble escapes, lid closes. Nice! All of the Magic Treasure Playset set works. You've got a couple of fish for the discus to bat around. A coral reef complete with sea critters and Barbie herself skinny legs and all. All for $21.95!
    Now that's a bargain!
    I like the flippers.

I know bare bottom is not fun to look at but it makes raising discus so much easier. 20200728_192302.jpgI put some sand colored window film on the bottom of my aquarium. It has a sand look and sparkles with the light.

Mark

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    I know bare bottom is not fun to look at but it makes raising discus so much easier. 20200728_192302.jpgI put some sand colored window film on the bottom of my aquarium. It has a sand look and sparkles with the light.

Mark
    Mark, my words, Mark, when I say that you are on the mark with this one. You may have a mark-etable idea here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast