AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Carpeting Plant for Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Carpeting Plant for Discus

Hey Everyone,

I've been doing research on Discus and considering purchasing them. I currently have a planted tank and was hoping to have my discus in the tank.

Here's an image of my tank currently
    https://imgur.com/a/2me38MZ

Does anyone here have experience with carpeting plants with Discus? Was looking for some advice since I have monte carlo and not sure if it'll handle the higher temperatures. My plan is to have the tank temperature at 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thank you!

P.S. (I'm going to remove all of the fish except for my otocinclus, amano shrimp, and SAE)

Registered Member

Default Re: Carpeting Plant for Discus

Christmas moss covered rocks. buy a few (ebay or amazon) and in three months cover a lot of geography

Real Name
    Tom

I have plants but no carpeting plants. How big is your tank? Co2? It does look great. But discus need water changes. At least 2 50% a week 4 would be better. Also with plants you have to vacume the substrate. What size discus do you want and how many?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I have plants but no carpeting plants. How big is your tank? Co2? It does look great. But discus need water changes. At least 2 50% a week 4 would be better. Also with plants you have to vacume the substrate. What size discus do you want and how many?
    My tank is 75 gallons. I currently do have a CO2 system at 2 BPS -- I did read that using a CO2 system with Discus is risky because of the pH swings thought so I might turn it off. My method of vacuuming the substrate is using a turkey baster to blow up all the debris and sucking it up with my python. I'm planning on getting 5-6 discus --- Hopefully getting upwards of 6 inches? I don't plan on having the biggest discus ever.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Christmas moss covered rocks. buy a few (ebay or amazon) and in three months cover a lot of geography
    Thank you! I'll take a look. I might go for much more simple plants now that I've researched this a lot more.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Buying large discus as you're planning gives you a bit of leeway with your water quality...I'm not suggesting you skimp, but adult discus tolerate nitrates better than juveniles, and once past the rapid growth phase are more forgiving. You're scape looks nice...6 big discus will look sweet cruising around your 75gal. What strain/s are you eyeballing?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I also have a 75g planted discus tank in which I run 1-2 BPS CO2 and I keep the tank at 84F with 2 water changes a week. I have not been successful keeping Monte Carlo in the discus tank while the temperature is high and the discus do snack on it I think that the real culprit is that I run the lights at a medium intensity compared to high - very intensity in my aquascaped tanks where MC flourishes. I also don't dose the discus tank with nutrients like I do the aquascaped tanks. In the discus tanks my primary concerns is the discus and in the aquascaped tanks the primary concern is the plants.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theioz View Post
    Thank you! I'll take a look. I might go for much more simple plants now that I've researched this a lot more.
    I do not use CO2 and rarely fertilize. The Christmas moss is very easy.