AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: marinepure/nitrates

Registered Member

Default marinepure/nitrates

Anyone with a planted tank using marinepure in their sump? I'm in the process of setting up my tank which will be a 125g display tank with a 30g sump. I'm picking bio media for the sump and I'm almost ready to order some marinepure (still not sure between a large block or the bag of mixed shapes). I read a few reviews on reef2reef and it sounds like marinepure completely reduced their nitrates down to zero or undetectable levels, has this been the case for anyone here, or is there a difference for saltwater vs freshwater?

The reason I ask is because my freshwater tank will be the source of an aquaponic system where we are growing small herbs like kale, cilantro, etc. I guess it's the same concept for anyone with a planted tank, but the plants will depend on the nitrates for nutrition. So will marinepure take that away from them? If so, is it better to just go with some other ceramic media?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: marinepure/nitrates

Just read a bit about it. First line is it’s a better place for bb to grow and will remove ammonia and nitrite. Things any sponge will do. Later it says it helps decrease nitrate. Again the same as any sponge. Will it denitrify? Eventually. Is it needed ? No. Any sponge will work for you. Being it’s a planted tank your plants will eat some of the nitrate. What type of fish are. You adding to the tank? Discus? I’d so will this be your first discus tank. I have a planted 125 with an fx6 that has biohome and matrix in it. I never check nitrates .

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I've used marine pure bio-media a few years ago in my sump. Over time the stuff seems to disintegrate, removed it, and replaced with this stuff with good results: Ceramic Filter Sphere, 99% Dust Free, Aquarium Filter Media, Ceramic Sphere Fish Filter for Aquarium, Bio Media, Bio Media Ceramic Sphere, S-Series from Amazon.com.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Biohome or Eheim pro would be the only name brands I would consider when going the sintered glass media route.
    They are ridiculously expensive though, you will probably spend close to $400 filling a 30g sump.

If you can find horticultural pumice near you bulk, use it.
    Seachem repackages the stuff for their Matrix Biofilter, you should be able to get a full cubic foot for what Seachem sells 7oz for.

If you're like me (cheap) and would have to ship pumice, go with normal lava rock.
    Either BBQ or Garden type, the garden type is cheaper but you will need to throw out the non-lava rocks & rinse of the red dust