ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Loricariidae Species with Discus

Registered Member

Default Loricariidae Species with Discus

Hello,

I have ready many horror stories of people who have kept Loricariidae species with discus and has them suck on the slime coat on the discus.
    Has anyone had experiences with species that are generally considered say? From what I have seen/ been told, the species commonly sold as ‘whiptail’ are safe. Would love to hear people’s opinions as I would hate to put a species in with my wild discus and have it go wrong so I have been thinking it may not be worth the risk.

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Loricariidae Species with Discus

Typically the only "safe" pleco is Ancistrus, the common bushynose. I keep these in all my discus tanks and never had a problem. I've had other loricariads with discus and have had seen fish with marks on their sides as a result. One way to get around this problem is to have mismatched sizes: large loricariad with small discus, or vice versa.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

I had Wipetail catfish in with discus once for a very sort time. They indeed went for the slime coat and left rasping marks on them.

Real Name
    Tom

My experience is any fish with a sucker mouth may go after the slime coat. Bushy nose usually don’t because they can’t attach to a discus it’s to fast. But if they do they will continue. Right now I have ottos in with my discus and have seen them harassing the discus. But my tank is a 125 planted so catching them is on the impossible side. The ottos being as small as they are I’ve seen no damage on the discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

I had a few corys once too, that the discus let clean them. One discus in particular used to role on it's side and let the cory to it's thing. But corys don't have a rasping mouth. I've haven't seen anything like that sense from corys.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Typically the only "safe" pleco is Ancistrus, the common bushynose. I keep these in all my discus tanks and never had a problem. I've had other loricariads with discus and have had seen fish with marks on their sides as a result. One way to get around this problem is to have mismatched sizes: large loricariad with small discus, or vice versa.
    Thank you for your response. Would you say the same would go for the Pterophyllum Altum I keep? Are pleco’s generally as much of a threat to suck on the side of angelfish as they are discus?

Real Name
    Mervin

Who ever told you/or read that wipetails were safe for flat shaped fish; that is not true.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Who ever told you/or read that wipetails were safe for flat shaped fish; that is not true.
    Thank you for that.
    I wanted to research before making any decisions as I personally believe it isn’t worth the risk