AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: aussie version

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Default aussie version

thinkin' we discus lovers here in Aus need to establish themselves more on sites like this.

many peeps here luv their discus .. majority of posts appear to be US based.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: aussie version

Hey Kerrie welcome! Not sure who’s from where but you’ll see people from all over stop by. Also you’ll notice there’s only about 20 people that regularly stop by here and add comments. I’m new here and that’s what I’ve noticed. The few who answer do hold a lot of knowledge so patience is needed. Hope your discus are improving.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

G'day mate. Aussie living in the US...1 of the 20...never had a head stander so no help here. With a 40-50% weekly water change it really isn't possible for your nitrates to be as low as 5-10 because you never get them back to 0 with partial changes. Perhaps your test kit is past it's best buy date?
    As mentioned in your other thread, I would increase your water changes to 50% every other day for 2 weeks to give your tank a good clean out, add salt @ 4tbsp/40 litres, and after the 2 weeks cut out the salt and bring your WC's back to 50% 2 times on week, 3 times the next. Gravel is notorious for trapping debris so give her a good gravel vac at least once a week.
    There's a few Aussies active in the forum, a bloke from Nth QLD, 1 from Brissy (where I grew up), and 1 from Melbourne.
    Keep us posted. Take it easy mate

Real Name
    Brendan

Here I am lol
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

G'day Kerrie.
    Welcome to Simply Discus.

There are a fair few Aussie members on here...People come and go. I've been on and off here over the last 13 years, and have gained alot of knowledge, mainly from the first Discus Challenge that i took part of.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...allenge-(2008)

I also learnt the importance of good clean water which we have readily available from our tap here in Melbourne, and started a thread about my new learnt experiences which are serving me well. Its a long thread, but you may pick up some good relevant information on there.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Discus/page28

I am by no means an expert and reluctant to offer advice for sick discus. What helped me on this latest journey is starting off with artificiality reared juveniles which were free of any parasites, and have kept them isolated and free from them.

Which part of Australia are you from?

Best of luck to you with your discus journey
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kerrie6703 View Post
    thinkin' we discus lovers here in Aus need to establish themselves more on sites like this.

many peeps here luv their discus .. majority of posts appear to be US based.
    Sometimes I think it better to live down under rather than up over. Percent of population is going to favor the north. Plenty of good Assie here they are chiming in

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

I'm seeing the wisdom in your words, thanks Tom!

(Just seeing your reply now!) still getting used to my way around this site.

Ya know, this world seems to revolve around whether or not you have a facebook account. I don't 'do' facebook.
    Not easy to find a trusted place to entertain your hobbies online!

Thanks for your support.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Thanks for that advice. I've had these discus, same tank, for the last three years @ once a week 50% water changes.

Is it conceivable that it may have taken this long for signs of possibly 'not too perfect' water quality to have effect?

I'm in the practice of gravel vac'ing every day/second day. I don't allow their faeces to remain on the gravel longer than that.

PH & GH, upon regular testing, appear pretty good @ average of 6.0PH and 1-3GH.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Hey Joe (!)
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your perseverance you've applied to your time on this site and gaining the knowledge you have.
    You obviously love the hobby of keeping these fish.

With regard to the water changes, I guess I've become comfortable over time (3+yrs with these fish) with once a week 50% changes + daily/alternative days gravel vac'ing.
    Up until now there have been little signs of issue.

I'm in Melbourne, btw .. the land of lockdown!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    G'day Kerrie.
    Welcome to Simply Discus.

There are a fair few Aussie members on here...People come and go. I've been on and off here over the last 13 years, and have gained alot of knowledge, mainly from the first Discus Challenge that i took part of.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...allenge-(2008)

I also learnt the importance of good clean water which we have readily available from our tap here in Melbourne, and started a thread about my new learnt experiences which are serving me well. Its a long thread, but you may pick up some good relevant information on there.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Discus/page28

I am by no means an expert and reluctant to offer advice for sick discus. What helped me on this latest journey is starting off with artificiality reared juveniles which were free of any parasites, and have kept them isolated and free from them.

Which part of Australia are you from?

Best of luck to you with your discus journey
    PS I'm here for both.