AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus acting weird after I moved a plant.

Registered Member
    Real Name

Exclamation Discus acting weird after I moved a plant.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

- My Discus which is about 5” - 6” starting tilting and laying near the bottom ever since I moved a plant a few days ago. All the other discus do not do this at all.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

- Looks kind of stressed, clamped fins? Sitting on bottom of tank tilted, fins a bit tattered.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

- Nothing yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

- 54g and about 8 months. 4 Rummynose and 5 discus. Most are about 5”? Some are a bit younger than others.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

- Usually every 2 days. 33% - 50%. Sometimes I’m not able to change for a week though due to me having to leave.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

- About 7 months. 2” Sand substrate.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

- No

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

- I use prime, I add it too the tank and then fill.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __83° F___

- ph __8.0___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __20_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

- Nope, haven’t added any fish or plants for about a month or two.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

- I usually feed 2 cubes of bloodworms in the morning, 1 cube of blackworms in the afternoon. Sometimes another.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

https://ibb.co/Hz6cbQ0
    Last edited by NC122606; 07-31-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Discus acting weird after I moved a plant.

When you pull a plant from deep substrate, it releases toxic gas amongst other nasties. This might have been enough to tip him over the edge if he had something underlying. Your nitrates are high and should be below 10 ideally. I would recommend increasing the volume and frequency of your water changes before doing anything else. Can we see a full tank shot please?
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I agree with Brendan on both accounts and I second increasing the water changes as suggested as a starting point. Do you see any swelling in the belly or body of the fish?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

you ruined his fung shui

Registered Member
    Real Name

That’s fine I’ll do daily if I need to. I’ll get a picture I just need to figure out why I can’t convert it.

Registered Member
    Real Name

I mean he kind of looks skinner I am not so sure if it’s his stomach I’ll get a side profile later when I get back.

Registered Member
    Real Name

I got the pictures I’ll upload from my phone to my computer. Thanks guys.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    you ruined his fung shui
    Do you mean "Feng shui"?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Do you mean "Feng shui"?
    Pat
    energy and harmony. It's Chinese. Example, there is a building/high rise at the edge of Hong Kong harbor. From about the 20th story and up there is a large hole in the building. It is there so that the dragon who lives on the hill behind the building can fly from the hill to the harbor without interference. The dragon would be upset if he/she could not get to the harbor from his/her home on the hill. The building would have interfered with the dragons feng shui had it not been for the hole in the building.

Real Name
    Francis

Bring back fond memories of my birthplace Hong Kong

Connaught Centre the time of its completion in 1972, Connaught Centre was the tallest building in Hong Kong and in Asia. Construction of the fifty-two-storey building.

57BA454B-3CE9-463E-A4D6-9505C4E13CFF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    energy and harmony. It's Chinese. Example, there is a building/high rise at the edge of Hong Kong harbor. From about the 20th story and up there is a large hole in the building. It is there so that the dragon who lives on the hill behind the building can fly from the hill to the harbor without interference. The dragon would be upset if he/she could not get to the harbor from his/her home on the hill. The building would have interfered with the dragons feng shui had it not been for the hole in the building.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

I would move that discus to a qt tank as my first move. Since the other fish are fine again I’d move it. In qt I would raise the temp to 88 and change 50-75% water daily. Give it a few days and see if it eats.

Registered Member

The holes are known as 'dragon gates' and according to feng shui, these holes allow dragons to fly from the mountains to the ocean each day, allowing positive energy flow through the building as a result.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by NC122606 View Post
    That’s fine I’ll do daily if I need to. I’ll get a picture I just need to figure out why I can’t convert it.
    Your photo must be under 2mb to post here. I usually email the photo to myself and it's automatically resized.

Also, I agree with Brendan and Pat on their assessment and course of action...