ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Rams delicate?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Default Rams delicate?

I was reading a thread about rams and someone made the comment that Rams are like the Canary in the coal mine.
    How delicate are they? I was planning to use a few to help cycle the tank.

Thanks
    Rich

ps- does CoralBandit have a web site? who has other varieties?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Rams delicate?

Back in my breeding days, I raised 5 generations of rams and learned the following. Rams kept at discus temperatures (~82F) only live 15 - 18 months. So they're practically annuals at such temperatures. They spawn very early, easily at 4 months when the fish may be 5/8". In my hands, they were very tough fish - especially when they got lots of water changes and fed on left over beefheart.

Many people consider rams to be difficult to keep because they buy them from local fish stores. I used to supply several LFS in the area with rams and they only wanted 1.25" or larger, fully colored, fish. By then, these rams were at least 12 months old and past breeding age. I gladly supplied these stores with my spent breeders. People who bought these fish couldn't breed them and had them die after 1 - 2 months. So the common lore was that rams were delicate fish.

If you're buying rams, get them as small as possible. I picked up a batch of 1/2 inch gold rams from a local hobbyist just this morning. After 2 hours in the tank, they're actively stealing beefheart from the discus.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I don't think coralbandit has a website, but he does list all his available fish on an online fish auction site called Aquabid. Think of it as Ebay but just for fish. On that site, you'll find other breeders of rams too. But I definitely recommend Coralbandit as a source for fish. His seller name is coralbandit.
    Also, I'd highly recommend you check out electric blue acaras as an alternative to rams. They look quite similar in shape and coloration, but are a few inches bigger in size. They're slightly more aggressive than rams, but won't cause any trouble to the discus. Acaras are very hardy and can adapt to any water conditions.

Real Name
    Tom

I don't have a web site ...
    I have had pairs breed for 3 years under my care .
    I have customers whose rams lasted 4 years ..
    Every fish is different and some colors are 'better' then others .
    I specialize in rams and have for 7 years now .
    I do my best to make sure people get good rams .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Rams can be sensitive to rapid shifts in water parameters and like most other soft water South American cichlids they are sensitive to dirty water. I would not use them to cycle a tank. But if you have a stable, established tank and do regular water changes, all they need is warm water and good food. And of course starting with quality stock is key.