ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Angelfish care

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Angelfish care

For those that have kept Angels, I was wondering how caring for angels compares to caring for discus. To start off, what size angel roughly corresponds to what size discus? For example, I've seen sellers listing dime, nickel, and quarter size angels- sizes really small compared to discus. Would a quarter size angel be suitable for beginners? What would be the minimum size you guys recommend?
    Based on what I've heard, angels are more hardier than discus coming to water condition. How often would you change water for a group of grow outs? I'm looking to keep them as I would discus in a bare bottom.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Angelfish care

I usually buy angelfish at nickel size because they handle transportation better and I treat them just like discus. These happen to be altum angels in a 110 gallon tank. Daily 100% water changes.

altums(YakJhaJEn4R).JPG

The same with koi angelfish, albeit in a smaller tank.

koi(MBkSLdCKM8m).JPG

You certainly don't need this level of water changes to grow angelfish. I'm doing this to maximize their growth rate and form. The finnage on angelfish is actually very susceptible to nitrate levels. When you see stubby angels, it's usually due to nitrate burns when they were crowded. The fins never grow back the same way afterwards.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

The dedication you have towards your fish is certainly amazing- you give your angelfish better care than I give my discus. Those are really nice altums by the way. They look almost like wild type discus with the vertical bars. Were those fish wild caught?

Real Name
    Willie

These altums came from www.shoreline-aquatics.com. He spawns them once a year. I recommend the site, which has videos of the spawning, the hatching, free swimming fry, etc., all sorts of stuff you never get to see with tank spawned altums. I've done both wild caughts and tank spawned. Wild caughts are really, really skittish - even after 6 months in the tank. Tank caughts behave like regular scalare.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    These altums came from www.shoreline-aquatics.com. He spawns them once a year. I recommend the site, which has videos of the spawning, the hatching, free swimming fry, etc., all sorts of stuff you never get to see with tank spawned altums. I've done both wild caughts and tank spawned. Wild caughts are really, really skittish - even after 6 months in the tank. Tank caughts behave like regular scalare.

Willie
    I appreciate the link, thank you.