AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 'Sweet, Sticky, Charred & Crispy' - Another killer chicken recipe !

Default 'Sweet, Sticky, Charred & Crispy' - Another killer chicken recipe !

I tried this chicken glaze recipe which I plucked out of the Aug. 2020 issue of Bon Appetit magazine last night, except I roasted the chicken pieces in the oven rather than grilling on the BBQ as suggested by the recipe -

It was absolutely delicious, just like the title describes.

Here are the ingredients for the glaze - sufficient to do 4-6 pieces of chicken for 2 persons:

- 3 crushed garlic cloves (lightly sautéed in a bit of oil to begin with) -
    and then added to:

- 6 tbsps of tomato paste
    - 1/2 cup maple syrup
    - 1/4 cup of soy sauce
    - 1/4 cup worster sauce
    - 2 tbsps of rice vinegar
    - 4 tspns sriracha or other hot sauce

Mix ingredients well for glazing the chicken pieces either on the grill, or in the oven as I did-

Use Chicken pieces of either breasts, thighs, or drumsticks -

I used thighs and roasted them @ 375 for an hour, basting them several times with the glaze during roasting, with a final coating added when finished, and then served.

They were fabulously tasty - a keeper chicken glaze for sure !

Default Re: 'Sweet, Sticky, Charred & Crispy' - Another killer chicken recipe !

Thanks Paul. I have everything but the chicken. Tonight I'm having my 15 bean stew with chopped corned beef and vegies from the garden plus some from the freezer tossed in. Truely a balanced meal in a bowl. I'll make your recipe tomorrow. I figured I'd serve the chicken with boiled rice and stir fried veggies. What did you serve yours with?
    Mama Bear

With steamed broccoli and a small serving of- would you believe - Kraft dinner, which I like occasionally ! LOL

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Paul, have you grilled heavy sauced/BBQ chicken in the past? How do you like doing the chicken in the oven rather than on the grill? I find that grilling chicken like that to be classic but with uneven results.

Good question David - but I must admit that I'm not quite sure if you meant' grilling on the BBQ is classic but with uneven results', rather than the oven method.

I'm going to assume you meant that BBQ grilling produced uneven results. (And yes, I've tried it many times).

If so, I agree with that - chicken grilling on the BBQ & ensuring it gets cooked properly with being undercooked, or burnt & dry, e.g. is a bit of an art & needs a BBQ er's full & careful attention, at least for me, and I think it gets much more troublesome if using a sweet, heavy sauce - not to mention the mess it makes on the grill, which takes a lot of elbow grease to clean up properly afterward !

So I do prefer oven roasting this type of dish, which I feel produces good results almost every time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for your thoughts.

The oven is pre-heating.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The oven is pre-heating.

Did you not care for this recipe, Liz ?

OMG, Please forgive me, Chef. I kept meaning to post and then forgetting.

It was incredible. It was almost better cold with a light coleslaw for lunch today. I only made 4 thighs but I made the full amount of sauce. It's great for dipping cold chicken in to. Can you think of any other ways I might use it? I wonder if it will freeze well as there is a more than 1/2 c. left and it's too good to waste.

The only change I will make next time is to mince the garlic into almost a paste in order to get the most flavor from it.

For dinner I had it over boiled rice. IMO it demanded a mellow starch like boiled rice. The store was out of green beans so I had broccoli like you. I tried something just for fun. I steamed the tender stems along with my fluorettes and found out a fun thing. Both my plecos and my shrimp were all over them from the moment I put them in the tank until they were gone. I'll be planting broccoli in my fall garden for sure.
    Mama Bear

Wonderful - glad you liked it as much as I did.

Yes, you could certainly freeze the glaze for use some other time.

I'm going to use that sauce for doing other dishes - such as beef, pork, lamb, or CHICKEN kebabs on the grill - even though it would make a mess for clean-up.

And don't stop doing what you've been doing with some of these recipes - that is "tweaking" them to what you feel may be more to your taste, or easier -whatever - I do the same - it's the way we learn to cook better as we go !

Thanks for the encouragement, Chef. I'm getting better at tweaking every time I cook something. I get a feeling of what a dish needs when I taste it going along and I either smell or taste the thing I think it needs before I add it. Then I give it a few minutes and taste it again. I'm a slow learner but I do learn when it's important to me.
    Mama Bear