AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sump design

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Sump design

I found a local guy howís doing very good aquariums, so finally I have decided to go with a bigger discus tank. Tank itself would be 5.25feet x 2.3 x 2 (160 cm x 70 x 60) = 177g and sump 39" x 20" x 20" 100x50x50) = 66g. Both tank and sump would be drilled for the overflow, so I can mount drip system. All in total, I think itís a good deal: tanks, lid, pipes and drilling for 400$ only.

Can you you help with a design? What would be the best design for a sump? How many partitions and arrangements of baffles?

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Re: Sump design

$400 for both tanks and all the plumbing?!?! That's a crazy good deal.

Just a few thoughts for you... If 2.3 is the height you may want to rethink going to just 2.
    I'm an average height guy and with my 2 ft depth tank and I no longer wear a shirt doing any maintenance.
    If your still dead set on the height, make sure your builder is using at least 3/4 inch acrylic.

For a freshwater sump I found just an open tank is best.
    All you really need is holders for your mechanical (filter socks) and the rest can just be bio media.
    I built mine with a crash box for the overflow, no noise and I can change filter socks out without stopping flow.

IMG_20200801_164035.jpg

*why can't i rotate!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thingsarefun; 08-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Thanks for a hint with a height. Youíre probably right with 2 feet only, as itís better not to dive during a tank cleaning.

What I see from your images you have
    - 1/6 in-tank
    - 1/6 socks
    - 2/3 media

Is it about to correct? Any reason you split a pump section alongside? It looks to limit a media section, compering to an option if that baffle would be parallel to the rest.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Bill G.

My sump is above tank. I do have lids so as to minimize evaporation. The inlet is to the left into chamber 1 for mech filtration also w bioballs. Water then flows under baffle to chamber 2 which is w both biohome and matrix in bags for bio (aerobic and anaerobic) w water flowing over into chamber 3 w the algae scrubber and a few bags of matrix w water then flowing under to chamber 4 with packed bags of Denitrator and Matrix. Water then flows over into chamber 5 w my Nitrate Reactor, then water flows over into chamber 6 which has bags of Resin and is the outlet. Note the shallow level in #6. If power goes out, only a cup or so of water will return to the tank w the rest of the chambers remaining full so as to keep the media wet and also not have them dump gallons of water into the tank. Also, I have two outlets one abt 1 1/2” higher than the other just in case the main lower outlet gets plugged/clogged. The pump is in the tank. I designed the two sumps I use and they were built by Glasscages.com in TN. Great company btw.......they really stand by their product and put lots of time into the planning. My water perimeters are quite good and filtration is indeed heavy. Also in the tank are two AC 110 HOBs. My flow is fine, but not too much and I also run an air stone in each of my tanks. Lastly.....I do not put heaters in the sump, although I had wanted to. Should the sump pump fail, my tank water will still be heated whereas if my heaters were in the sump and the pump failed, the sump would be heated while my fish water temp went real low. I know most sumps are below....and I think yours seems to be, but I had to share what’s been working super great for me. IMHO, any sump is better than no sump no matter the design/position.

718C4F10-8E9A-42E4-9B91-5288C515CC91.jpg
    16FBDCAA-E84D-46F9-9D34-DB1C7E683034.jpg
    Last edited by 14Discus; 08-02-2020 at 07:51 PM.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Bill G.

Here is one of my tanks which also has pathos growing out to the side w the roots in the tank water for still more NO3 reduction. Yes.....this is one of my three Kenny’s Discus fish only tanks.

6B394508-0EBC-4EB8-871B-32B8749E64C1.jpg

Registered Member + MVP - May 2020 coralbandit's Avatar
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Tom

I like this design for freshwater ; https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ml#post7656065
    Here is the one I built for my 75g ;

I use a rectangular sock in the first section and then I have cut to fit pads piled up just after the overflow ramp .After the pads water goes under one baffle and then through the sponge.
    The lack of baffles allows me longer time between top offs and reduces the amount of off gassing which is really more important in reef tanks to prevent pH crashes.
    In freshwater you don't need all the overflows and the glass in the middle directs the water flow just like baffles would without all the outgassing .
    Here it is working without the pads ;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?