AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sump design

Registered Member

Default Sump design

I found a local guy how’s doing very good aquariums, so finally I have decided to go with a bigger discus tank. Tank itself would be 5.25feet x 2.3 x 2 (160 cm x 70 x 60) = 177g and sump 39" x 20" x 20" 100x50x50) = 66g. Both tank and sump would be drilled for the overflow, so I can mount drip system. All in total, I think it’s a good deal: tanks, lid, pipes and drilling for 400$ only.

Can you you help with a design? What would be the best design for a sump? How many partitions and arrangements of baffles?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Re: Sump design

$400 for both tanks and all the plumbing?!?! That's a crazy good deal.

Just a few thoughts for you... If 2.3 is the height you may want to rethink going to just 2.
    I'm an average height guy and with my 2 ft depth tank and I no longer wear a shirt doing any maintenance.
    If your still dead set on the height, make sure your builder is using at least 3/4 inch acrylic.

For a freshwater sump I found just an open tank is best.
    All you really need is holders for your mechanical (filter socks) and the rest can just be bio media.
    I built mine with a crash box for the overflow, no noise and I can change filter socks out without stopping flow.

IMG_20200801_164035.jpg

*why can't i rotate!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thingsarefun; 08-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for a hint with a height. You’re probably right with 2 feet only, as it’s better not to dive during a tank cleaning.

What I see from your images you have
    - 1/6 in-tank
    - 1/6 socks
    - 2/3 media

Is it about to correct? Any reason you split a pump section alongside? It looks to limit a media section, compering to an option if that baffle would be parallel to the rest.

Real Name
    Bill G.

My sump is above tank. I do have lids so as to minimize evaporation. The inlet is to the left into chamber 1 for mech filtration also w bioballs. Water then flows under baffle to chamber 2 which is w both biohome and matrix in bags for bio (aerobic and anaerobic) w water flowing over into chamber 3 w the algae scrubber and a few bags of matrix w water then flowing under to chamber 4 with packed bags of Denitrator and Matrix. Water then flows over into chamber 5 w my Nitrate Reactor, then water flows over into chamber 6 which has bags of Resin and is the outlet. Note the shallow level in #6. If power goes out, only a cup or so of water will return to the tank w the rest of the chambers remaining full so as to keep the media wet and also not have them dump gallons of water into the tank. Also, I have two outlets one abt 1 1/2” higher than the other just in case the main lower outlet gets plugged/clogged. The pump is in the tank. I designed the two sumps I use and they were built by Glasscages.com in TN. Great company btw.......they really stand by their product and put lots of time into the planning. My water perimeters are quite good and filtration is indeed heavy. Also in the tank are two AC 110 HOBs. My flow is fine, but not too much and I also run an air stone in each of my tanks. Lastly.....I do not put heaters in the sump, although I had wanted to. Should the sump pump fail, my tank water will still be heated whereas if my heaters were in the sump and the pump failed, the sump would be heated while my fish water temp went real low. I know most sumps are below....and I think yours seems to be, but I had to share what’s been working super great for me. IMHO, any sump is better than no sump no matter the design/position.

718C4F10-8E9A-42E4-9B91-5288C515CC91.jpg
    16FBDCAA-E84D-46F9-9D34-DB1C7E683034.jpg
    Last edited by 14Discus; 08-02-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Here is one of my tanks which also has pathos growing out to the side w the roots in the tank water for still more NO3 reduction. Yes.....this is one of my three Kenny’s Discus fish only tanks.

6B394508-0EBC-4EB8-871B-32B8749E64C1.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

I like this design for freshwater ; https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ml#post7656065
    Here is the one I built for my 75g ;

I use a rectangular sock in the first section and then I have cut to fit pads piled up just after the overflow ramp .After the pads water goes under one baffle and then through the sponge.
    The lack of baffles allows me longer time between top offs and reduces the amount of off gassing which is really more important in reef tanks to prevent pH crashes.
    In freshwater you don't need all the overflows and the glass in the middle directs the water flow just like baffles would without all the outgassing .
    Here it is working without the pads ;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I have a 2 chamber sump as my fish rack gives me the luxury of lots of extra space. I describe it here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...uariums-(4x20L)

Still, your sump has much more capacity than both of my chambers combined! That is a fabulous price on all of that glass and construction! Where are you located?
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-04-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

$400 FOR THAT SETUP!!!

Hope all goes well. If so, I think you should let us know who this is so we can order one too.

Registered Member

Actually it was more than planned, as tank is longer and done from crystal glass.

I’m finalising plumbing and will start it soon

Real Name
    Tom

Nice build ...
    Can't wait to see it running .
    What you going with for pumps ?
    I like Jeboa DC pumps .
    How many drains come out of the weir/ overflow .
    They ball park 1 drain @1 inch inside diameter for 960 GPH max I believe .. I like to think in the 750 range so not to max out flow .
    The jeboa DC pumps are digitally controlled so you can adjust the flow and save electricity ..I run the 12,000 or 15,000 LPH on my sumps .
    2 are turned down from full but the 180 with sump in basement[under tank in living room ] is full out hard lined with 1 1/2 inch PVC to a 'T' in the stand ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Thing is do you need to have a stamp I have a built-in external filter I do have room for a stamp but do I need it.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Moreetta View Post
    Thing is do you need to have a stamp I have a built-in external filter I do have room for a stamp but do I need it.

Pardon me, I don't understand what you are referring to by the word Stamp. Could you explain?
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

It starts become ingesting ...17E0EAC7-CD03-488D-89CB-D062152A9B18.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Following this thread closely.

@coralbandit I love that sump design. I am new to sumps but as my discus grow larger I'm looking at a 125+ sump and im trying to learn about how to do them correctly.

@pablos looking fantastic
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast