ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: pH in Water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default pH in Water

Hey Everyone,

I've been planning on buying discus over the last couple of months. I've been doing a lot of research as well as testing my own waters to see if it'll be a good fit for discus. I recently bought a digital pH tester and found out that in San Francisco -- the tap water comes out at 9.0 pH and decreases over time.

For my display tank, I run CO2, have plants, and have substrate that lowers pH. Depending on the time of day, my pH ranges from 7.0 - 7.5 every day. When I do water changes, depending on how much I change, it goes up to 8.0. For my quarantine and hospital tanks, it has a pH of 7.5 consistently.

Will discus be able to handle the the pH swings? If not, what are alternatives methods I could use to make it so I can raise discus?

Thank you!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: pH in Water

Even seemingly minor pH swings can be very stressful for discus, especially if those swings are rapid. Since a pH change of 1 is a change to the power of 10 (i.e., 1 until is 10x different, 2 units is 100x different), then your tank jumping from as low as 7.0 to as high as 8.0 is a significant swing. If that swing is happening as rapidly as a water change, then that could be quite a shock for discus. Some fish might be able to endure that kind of shock, but I would worry about its effects on discus.

Have you considered an RO unit? They aren't practical for everyone, but they can definitely solve water quality issues in source water. I know some people filter through peat to lower pH. I haven't tried that method so I can't speak to any potential pitfalls of that method.
    Last edited by G_Man10; 08-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Real Name
    Willie

I would not do anything different in your position. San Francisco is fed by Mono Lake, which is in turn fed by mountain runoffs. The water is relatively soft, so pH differences are inconsequential. Many pioneers of discus breeding started in there and used straight tap water for breeding and raising discus very successfully. On a practical matter, R/O will be problematic in municipalities undergoing constant drought and water usage limitations.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by G_Man10 View Post
    Even seemingly minor pH swings can be very stressful for discus, especially if those swings are rapid. Since a pH change of 1 is a change to the power of 10 (i.e., 1 until is 10x different, 2 units is 100x different), then your tank jumping from as low as 7.0 to as high as 8.0 is a significant swing. If that swing is happening as rapidly as a water change, then that could be quite a shock for discus. Some fish might be able to endure that kind of shock, but I would worry about its effects on discus.

Have you considered an RO unit? They aren't practical for everyone, but they can definitely solve water quality issues in source water. I know some people filter through peat to lower pH. I haven't tried that method so I can't speak to any potential pitfalls of that method.
    I don't think a RO unit would be viable for me. I was considering buying a 55 gallon bucket and aging my water...so that might be a viable situation.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I would not do anything different in your position. San Francisco is fed by Mono Lake, which is in turn fed by mountain runoffs. The water is relatively soft, so pH differences are inconsequential. Many pioneers of discus breeding started in there and used straight tap water for breeding and raising discus very successfully. On a practical matter, R/O will be problematic in municipalities undergoing constant drought and water usage limitations.
    If this is the case, this will safe me so much time and effort! I am considering aging my water to be safe though.

Registered Member

I live in San Francisco in the Inter-Richmond District same area as Fairy Lake Discus.
    My ph runs around 8.9 out of the tap, Discus are raise and breed straight out of the tap.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I live in San Francisco in the Inter-Richmond District same area as Fairy Lake Discus.
    My ph runs around 8.9 out of the tap, Discus are raise and breed straight out of the tap.

Cliff
    This is great news. Much appreciated Cliff!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Jason, if you are going to run CO2 I would suggest you strongly consider adding a pH controller so you are not fluctuating between 7-8 on water change days, or in fact 0.5 on non-change days.