AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Discus going to surface for air!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Exclamation HELP! Discus going to surface for air!!

Help! I just got 4 new discus from uncle sams in Los Angeles and my new fish keep going to the top for air. I have a few ideas as to why they are doing this but I would like expert insight. They are in a tank with a developed bio filter that has been cycling for a month now, their tank mates include 2 hal dollarIMG_1376.jpg sized angle fish. I do 30 percent water changes each day and my Ph level is at 7.5, and a temp around 85-86. One discus is about 6 inches while the others are about 4, however only the smaller ones will go to the top for air. I've done my best to do research and keep the tank clean and healthy for these fish, I would love if someone could reply to this and help me out a bit. Thanks to all :)

P.S- I have a small airstone in the water that keeps the water sufficiently oxygenated, or maybe not as they continue to break the surface to take in air

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: HELP! Discus going to surface for air!!

Do you know what your water parameters are? If so please post. Thanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Listed below taken just now:
    Ph: 7.6
    Temp: 86
    Kh: Don't have tests
    Ammonia: Don't have a test but should be low as I just did a 30 percent water change and hour and a half ago

If there is anything I forgot or anything I need to purchase please tell me
    -Nicholas

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas G View Post
    Help! I just got 4 new discus from uncle sams in Los Angeles and my new fish keep going to the top for air. I have a few ideas as to why they are doing this but I would like expert insight. They are in a tank with a developed bio filter that has been cycling for a month now, their tank mates include 2 hal dollarIMG_1376.jpg sized angle fish. I do 30 percent water changes each day and my Ph level is at 7.5, and a temp around 85-86. One discus is about 6 inches while the others are about 4, however only the smaller ones will go to the top for air. I've done my best to do research and keep the tank clean and healthy for these fish, I would love if someone could reply to this and help me out a bit. Thanks to all

P.S- I have a small airstone in the water that keeps the water sufficiently oxygenated, or maybe not as they continue to break the surface to take in air
    While it could be a number of things, first to check is proper aeration of the water. You mentioned you had an air stone in there, are you able to add another? What about the filter, what sort is it and does the outlet break the surface of the water?

Also, this could be nitrite poisoning, although unlikely if your tank is cycled. I am curious to know how your tank is cycled if you cannot test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Stress could also be another factor.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Are the fish breathing fast? Even thru you have a cycled filter your tank could be experiencing a mini-cycle due to the increased bio-load of the fish. Would be helpful to get the get the API Freshwater Master kit and test of ammonia and nitrite. Another thought since it is the younger fish perhaps they are looking for food.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

A narrow deep tank has less surface area which might limit the oxygen at the surface. More aeration, already suggested, or a wave maker pointed at the surface.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

To start off thank you for your reply, and I knew my aquarium was cycled because my local fish store does free tests to check water parameters. When I had gone to do that they had told me my tank had been cycled. Now I am getting an "Api master test kit" so I can come back with a legitimate response. Also I checked the filter and didn't have the issue you had asked about on my quarantine tank filter where the fish are. Also if you would like me to update you on water parameters I will do so by tomorrow morning. Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Brian

I would agree with the others. Good decision on the test kit! Strip kits are not always reliable.

Hanging out at the top can often be a sign of ammonia or nitrites.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    A narrow deep tank has less surface area which might limit the oxygen at the surface. More aeration, already suggested, or a wave maker pointed at the surface.
    Most important first step. Through experience, because I do not age water most of the time, I have learned that this type of thing occurrs when I do water changes close to lights out.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Most important first step. Through experience, because I do not age water most of the time, I have learned that this type of thing occurrs when I do water changes close to lights out.
    Then that could be the answer. A 30% change usually is ok, but the size of your tank and stocking has to be considered. I'm guessing your water is not aged and aerated and there is very little to no O2 in the new water. Also, do you see any microbubbles on the class after a WC? That could mean other dissolves gasses, other than oxygen. Altho, you do have an airstone and shouldn't be an issue..
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 08-04-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Real Name
    Francis

A Nessler based kit will not read ammonia properly if you are using Prime.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Thanks for the insight I got it under control now

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

I upped the water change to 50 and add bio fluid with beneficial bacteria just to help with the waste a little. Seems to work, and the fish seem to love their new home!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

This actually helped I moved it to earlier in the morning when I feed them and earlier in the evening after their second feeding for the day. Thanks for your input!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Semi High nitrates, in fact. Got it under control by using a biological element that balanced everything out and now the fish are happy and just have 3 more weeks till they move to the 60 gallon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast