AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Outraged

Registered Member

Default Outraged

I just heard the most outrageous pandemic story from one of my patients (while doing telehealth office visit)

The patient lives in Lake County, Florida just kinda between all Ocala and Orlando. He is a terrific person who works as a science teacher. Unfortunately his wife is battling a malignant tumor.

Here’s the outrage. He is being forced to go back and teach in person and when I asked him how the County Commissioners decided upon this he stated: “They had students from sixth grade to 12th grade vote on it and it was the children’s decision to open up the schools” I am shocked

I cannot believe that the America that I grew up in and love so dearly, would allow children to make this decision. How spineless politicians have become

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Outraged

That’s crazy, especially since kids these days aren’t taught critical thinking. This way the school system can remain blameless should there be any deaths.

I am totally against kids returning to school in person at this particular time, the schools will just become a gigantic petri dish. How do they expect to keep school safe if they can’t keep sports teams safe.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    I just heard the most outrageous pandemic story from one of my patients (while doing telehealth office visit)

The patient lives in Lake County, Florida just kinda between all Ocala and Orlando. He is a terrific person who works as a science teacher. Unfortunately his wife is battling a malignant tumor.

Here’s the outrage. He is being forced to go back and teach in person and when I asked him how the County Commissioners decided upon this he stated: “They had students from sixth grade to 12th grade vote on it and it was the children’s decision to open up the schools” I am shocked

I cannot believe that the America that I grew up in and love so dearly, would allow children to make this decision. How spineless politicians have become
    Did the children actually vote or did their parents vote for them in order to get them out of the house and back to the free lunches and free day care?

On un unrelated note I wonder if anyone has developed a series of home schooling material revolved around using the aquarium hobby to teach kids about things like economics, math, biology, statistics, chemistry, philosophy, etc.

Real Name
    Willie

I predict that, despite everything that's said, schools and colleges that offer in-person teaching will eventually shut down their classes due to lack of attendance. At the end of the day, parents are not going to send children to school if death is a potential side effect. Raising our children to have happy, productive lives is pretty much why we do everything, not the other way around.

The same will be true for college students. The net effect of Covid is that all school systems, elementary, junior high, high school and colleges, will take a huge financial hit, leading to shut downs and layoffs. I work with some private colleges in the Twin Cities and none of them could survive losing one semester of tuition. Many small and private colleges will shut down or become merged into larger university systems. Job cutbacks will extend to staff and tenured professors. It all sounds horrible, until you compare it to death.

Between now and then, there will be a lot of bluster about the importance of education. But when push comes to shove, no one has to go to school this Fall.

My 2 cents...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I live near Ocala and my kids go to Charter Schools. We were fortunate because we had 3 options to choose from: send them to school, a hybrid form of schooling from home where they take classes at a time when they choose, and the third option was schooling from home where they have to get up and attend each class at the scheduled time. We were originally going to send them back but ultimately decided to keep them home and do the third option. We just dont know enough about this pandemic and despite the social implications we have to protect out kids.

Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Sign me up for those classes. I'm sure we could learn a whole ton of biology, biochem, chemistry from maintaining an aquarium alone. I feel like I'm working in a lab when I'm doing maintenance on my planted aquarium. There are so many variables one could alter in working on an aquarium. Not sure about gaining philosophical insights though... And economics would be a stretch, unless you actively sell aquarium fish/plants.

My daughters college offers both online and in person classes for the fall. Luckily she was able to get all online classes this semester..
    My son is a senior in highschool. They are still working out the logistics but unless the virus hits CT hard again, they are most likely at least going to have a hybrid plan... Ct is asking the schools have multiple options in place so we can do what needs to be done to protect the kids and their families.. My state has luckily been very proactive with its Pandemic response.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

Bits tongue!!! Your politicians should start agreeing on something pretty soon.. Better leaders that listen to health professionals would help the whole world. It's difficult not to bring politics in to a conversation about COVID 19, when you watch CCN and see what's happening, especially in the States. The whole world is watching; come on everyone we're all in this together. Still biting tongue.