AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dam they ate the eggs

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Dam they ate the eggs

So this is a community tank, 55 gallon. These guys laid a bunch of eggs then ate them. Is it stress from other fish or? Has about 40 fish in it, mostly small rasboras etc. I have since put them in a tank by themselves. Well it has some guppies, going to get them out tonight and try again. The stick is old firewood I found in a creek. Naturally antimicrobial.

Thanks
    Fritz

discus eggs.jpg
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Dam they ate the eggs

While I am no expert on breeding, given the age/size of your fish they might still be “practicing”. I have had a few immature pairs lay, they last a few days and then someone eats them. I’ve got one pair laying once a week atm, however I’ve got no intention to breed, and my water is far too hard out of the tap here.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    While I am no expert on breeding, given the age/size of your fish they might still be “practicing”. I have had a few immature pairs lay, they last a few days and then someone eats them. I’ve got one pair laying once a week atm, however I’ve got no intention to breed, and my water is far too hard out of the tap here.
    Thanks makes sense.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Fritz the very white color of the eggs shows they weren't fertile. Parents will eat eggs as they show that they're not viable, even when you have fertile eggs they will pick off the white ones. As Brendan said, they look young, and just need time & practice. All the best mate!

Real Name
    Fritz

babie discus.jpg

Actually a tiny piece of plant in a 10 gallon tank. Got about 30 babies this time. Getting closer and closer.

Real Name
    Fritz

My wifes latest video. Getting further and further. Almost 5 days old. That's a piece of shrimp hanging in the tank. Been giving them BBS, beef heart mix. ( beef heart, scallops, spinach, a little garlic ) and the shrimp. They seem to like it.

Real Name
    Tom

Have you removed the parents? Never seen the shrimp use before. Looks like it’s working.

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Have you removed the parents? Never seen the shrimp use before. Looks like it’s working.
    Yes they are still young I guess, the parents keep eating the eggs. We keep letting them try. We actually remove the cone, we have a 10 gallon tank we care learning how to raise them in. Hopefully they will raise them themselves soon.
    Last edited by famtsberg; 06-08-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve tried this at least 10 times with no luck. I get them to swimmers but they just won’t eat. Fed bbs, egg yoke and first bites. Nothing. I can keep them swimming for about a week than they just die off. Never tried or heard of the shrimp so I’m hoping you’ve figured it out. Got my fingers crossed.

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’ve tried this at least 10 times with no luck. I get them to swimmers but they just won’t eat. Fed bbs, egg yoke and first bites. Nothing. I can keep them swimming for about a week than they just die off. Never tried or heard of the shrimp so I’m hoping you’ve figured it out. Got my fingers crossed.

We take beef heart mix and rub it on a rock or weight then let it dry, put that in and they like that. the picture, above the video is a piece of the beef heart mix. We freeze it then run it thru a salad shooter. They really seem to dig the shrimp though. I will post an update in a few days. Maybe between us we can figure it out. I know of several people that are successful.
    Last edited by famtsberg; 06-08-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok mine are cleaning the filter again . Expect eggs soon! So how’s it going with the shrimp? When you say 5 days old that’s after wiggler?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by famtsberg View Post
    We take beef heart mix and rub it on a rock or weight then let it dry, put that in and they like that. the picture, above the video is a piece of the beef heart mix. We freeze it then run it thru a salad shooter. They really seem to dig the shrimp though. I will post an update in a few days. Maybe between us we can figure it out. I know of several people that are successful.
    Congratulations Fritz. That's a lovely sight to see. Good luck growing them out.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Fritz

they didn't make it. just slowed down and stopped at about 10 days. read Cliffs page and ill have all the stuff in a few days. every time it gets a little further along. parents let a group get all the way to wigglers then gobbled them up. I hope they get it soon.

Real Name
    Fritz

I have the feeding supplies Cliff suggested. They spawned again over the weekend. I have the cone in extra clean water. Only 2 fungus eggs in 2 days. Lets see how this goes.

Real Name
    Fritz

ended up with 7 fungus eggs and a bunch of wigglers. hopefully they keep going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast