AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Tank Rack using multiple HDX 36x14x54 Stands - Bowing Concerns

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Fish Tank Rack using multiple HDX 36x14x54 Stands - Bowing Concerns

Folks,

I've gone through several designs for my mini-rack. Now it's 4 20L aquariums arranged 2 high, 2 side by side... and then a 2 chamber sump made of 2 20L aquariums on the bottom. 20L tanks are 30" long, 12.25" deep, and 12.25" high. I'm raising dwarf cichlids.. so the volumes and weights that I am dealing with are quite small compared to those when keeping Discus. That permits me to explore alternatives that aren't feasible for many DiscusKeeper's fishrooms / fishracks.

Basically I need structures to house this final configuration:

4 x 20L + Sump.jpg

I heavily researched building it of mesquite. Then it was a combination of mesquite shelves with black iron for legs. Now, with the reality of months of Covid-19 and reduced income, I'm going to curb my expectations one more time. I've already spent good coin on equipment and automation. I intend to spend likewise for flora and fauna. It's the furniture (aka. side by side stands) that's going to have to take the brunt of the latest cost saving measures.

So, I'm considering three of these. Really, two... but the third will allow me to rob pieces to get to the necessary 70" of height that I need. I'll maintain 8" of spacing from top of each tank to the next shelf for servicing, but it will feel closer to 9" as the bottom of the shelves are air. I will use 3/4" marine grade plywood cut (and sealed) to match each shelves footprint to reduce the likelihood of bowing/sagging across the 30" tank spans with a layer of 1/4" cork on top of it to dampen imperfections. I like that they are 36" wide, 14" deep, as that gives me 3" on each end for running my water lines, and 7/8" at front and at the back.. in fact the shelves are built in such a way that they will provide 'channels' of sorts for running the black water lines.

Anyone have experience using these?

black-hdx-freestanding-shelving-units-21436bps-64_1000.jpg

I'm hoping that I can find them in black as it will look a little more stylish than the 'chrome'....
    Each shelf would be holding about 170lbs (tank, substrate and water)... so that's 460lbs total. (the sumps won't have as much water, so it's not quite 170X3...). (the shelving unit is rated at 1400lbs so I'm well under that).

I'd have two of these units side by side... with the height increased by 16".... the 16" extension would only hold a top shelf to suspend lightweight LED Stunner Strips.... I'll keep all of the real weight on the original 54" section..

This is the Home Depot link.

Any opinions?

It's a huge comprimise, as this was my original inspiration:
    Aquarium-Zen-Seattle-Fish-Store-Aquariums.jpg

I just need to stop sweating the stand build... I believe I can still make the whole thing look very beautiful.... and afterall, it will just occupy the far end of my home/office. My tanks are rimless ( diy de-rimmed 20L ) and are drilled for bulkheads at the ends, so I'm committed to running the lines at each end, rather than behind the tanks...
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 08-04-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Fish Tank Rack using multiple HDX 36x14x54 Stands - Bowing Concerns

I will add that I have used variations of these racks for about 20 years now.. from small 14" X 24" to larger 18" x 48" and even 60" wide versions, purchased both in the USA and Mexico. I've never had the plastic compressible pieces break, nor the welds on the shelves fail. I've stored heavy stuff on them. But my concern is bowing.... and whether or not 3/4" plywood over 30" is enough to reinforce the steel shelves to mitigate sag... I don't have allot of margin for error with my 20L aquariums.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

I thought it was appropriate to do a test setup of at least 1/2 the system (1 rack).

First, I constructed the stand. It will be modified so it will be taller to support a 4 shelf to suspend the lighting. So no real extra weight at all... So, for the test, I'll just go with the 54" that is supporting the weight.

First I cut, routered, sanded the 3/4 plywood shelves. The metal shelves are 36" X 14". The tanks are 30" X 12 1/4". I cut the plywood pieces to be 35" x 13", with 1 1/4" holes at the corner to fit around the verticle tubing. I still need to drill 3 x 1" on the end of each plywood shelf to route the 1/2" and 3/4" black tubing for water delivery, return and drain.

PreparingBlackRackShelves.jpg

Here you can see the details of the interfaces. The idea is that the 3/4" plywood will destribute weight very evenly across the entire metal shelf and eliminate bowing. The 1/4" cork is for absorbing shock and imperfections. The cork fit is exactly 12 1/8" and 30" so it just sits right beneath the glass bottom of the tanks. The bottom tank (1/2 of the 2 section sump/refugium) is sitting on 1/2" styrofoam just because I didn't want to cut any more cork for this test. Ultimately, I will stain the plywood a dark expresso (brown black) and coat with serveraly applications of polyurethane. It should look decent.

DeRimTankCorkPlywoodBlackShelf.jpg

Finally, Each of the display tanks has been filled with a bit more than 1/2 of their expected water height and the sump with 1/3 of it's expected water height. The tanks are drilled and tubing is not yet available to bring them all to full height. Honestly, it is good to have them sit at 1/2 their weight for a few days and see how they hold up. Then, they will be pushed to full weight.

I like that I will be installing the bulkheads and tubing, causing movement, while there is water in them. These stands need to be able to tolerate work around them. If they break during this test phase, as work is occuring around them, well at least they will have broken on the covered patio and not inside the office.

BlackRackWaterTest50Percent.jpg

I'll provide updates once I get the water to 100% of capacity on all of the tanks...
    Peter

learning never stops

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Folks,

I've gone through several designs for my mini-rack. Now it's 4 20L aquariums arranged 2 high, 2 side by side... and then a 2 chamber sump made of 2 20L aquariums on the bottom. 20L tanks are 30" long, 12.25" deep, and 12.25" high. I'm raising dwarf cichlids.. so the volumes and weights that I am dealing with are quite small compared to those when keeping Discus. That permits me to explore alternatives that aren't feasible for many DiscusKeeper's fishrooms / fishracks.

Basically I need structures to house this final configuration:

4 x 20L + Sump.jpg

I heavily researched building it of mesquite. Then it was a combination of mesquite shelves with black iron for legs. Now, with the reality of months of Covid-19 and reduced income, I'm going to curb my expectations one more time. I've already spent good coin on equipment and automation. I intend to spend likewise for flora and fauna. It's the furniture (aka. side by side stands) that's going to have to take the brunt of the latest cost saving measures.

So, I'm considering three of these. Really, two... but the third will allow me to rob pieces to get to the necessary 70" of height that I need. I'll maintain 8" of spacing from top of each tank to the next shelf for servicing, but it will feel closer to 9" as the bottom of the shelves are air. I will use 3/4" marine grade plywood cut (and sealed) to match each shelves footprint to reduce the likelihood of bowing/sagging across the 30" tank spans with a layer of 1/4" cork on top of it to dampen imperfections. I like that they are 36" wide, 14" deep, as that gives me 3" on each end for running my water lines, and 7/8" at front and at the back.. in fact the shelves are built in such a way that they will provide 'channels' of sorts for running the black water lines.

Anyone have experience using these?

black-hdx-freestanding-shelving-units-21436bps-64_1000.jpg

I'm hoping that I can find them in black as it will look a little more stylish than the 'chrome'....
    Each shelf would be holding about 170lbs (tank, substrate and water)... so that's 460lbs total. (the sumps won't have as much water, so it's not quite 170X3...). (the shelving unit is rated at 1400lbs so I'm well under that).

I'd have two of these units side by side... with the height increased by 16".... the 16" extension would only hold a top shelf to suspend lightweight LED Stunner Strips.... I'll keep all of the real weight on the original 54" section..

This is the Home Depot link.

Any opinions?

It's a huge comprimise, as this was my original inspiration:
    Aquarium-Zen-Seattle-Fish-Store-Aquariums.jpg

I just need to stop sweating the stand build... I believe I can still make the whole thing look very beautiful.... and afterall, it will just occupy the far end of my home/office. My tanks are rimless ( diy de-rimmed 20L ) and are drilled for bulkheads at the ends, so I'm committed to running the lines at each end, rather than behind the tanks...
    I've had these SS stands. I wouldn't trust them if I were you. Go with wood.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Opps Liz,
    I already have testing underway.... Got impatient and went to full level / full weight this afternoon. We will see how they do after a week of working around them. This is definitely a gauntlet... Cheap $1 a gallon tanks with their rims and bases removed, dangerously close to the edge holes drilled for bulkheads, on inexpensive friction fit racks...
    Peter

learning never stops

If it works for you it would be quite a feather in your cap.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

well a dry floor is more important than a feather in my cap. so far they seem to be ok. they certainly don't make these types of stands as heavy-duty as they did 10 years ago. but I'm not putting allot of weight on them (well under 400lbs total). my office has a ceramic tile floor on top of concrete, so it's a true flat firm surface.

these two tanks are the final two that I prepped to replace the two that I cracked in my de-rimming and bulk-head drilling exercises months ago (I documented my impatience in both instances).... so these tanks haven't recieved their final cleanup to remove all of the silicon goop.... I figured if I was going to break them with this stand test... it would be a shame to loose two tanks that are sparkley clean.. anyway, you can see the bulkheads installed with their 90's turned upwards so that I could fill the tanks quite high.

BlackRackWaterTest100Percent.jpg

I've shaken the stand, bumped the stand. As previously stated, they will sit in this state or at least a week. if it works out. I'll construct the other one and put two tanks and the 2nd half of the sump on that one as well.
    Peter

learning never stops

I was thinking that I used to have one of these. Actually, I still have it. I've had it around for so many years I've actually quit noticing it. It holds some of my dog grooming supplies in my dog grooming room. It's actually much more stable than I was thinking. I'd have never thought to use is a a tank stand, though.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

My wife and I had one of those stands for my wife's African Violet's project. I am not saying that the rack will not hold multiple tank(s) but I would be extremely uncomfortable utilizing it for your purposes. The rack is more stable than one would initially think but I would be extremely wary for long term usage.

Hey Frank, Did you know that Barb (the cone lady) if big into African Violets? She and your wife might want to trade plants or whatever it is the African Violet people do.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

No I did not Liz. At one time, she had dozens but has trimmed back significantly.
    I will let her know about Barb.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Hey Frank, Did you know that Barb (the cone lady) if big into African Violets? She and your wife might want to trade plants or whatever it is the African Violet people do.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    My wife and I had one of those stands for my wife's African Violet's project. I am not saying that the rack will not hold multiple tank(s) but I would be extremely uncomfortable utilizing it for your purposes. The rack is more stable than one would initially think but I would be extremely wary for long term usage.
    Yeah, it's hard to know just how volatile this setup is. Obviously I'm well under the rated weight limit per shelf and the unit total. I do feel like it's a bit of uncharted territory. Routine inspections are in order. Thankfully, by virtue of it's open nature it will be very easy to have a look with a flashlight on occasion.

My hope is that the plywood will do a good job of distributing the load well enough to accomplish two things. 1: eliminate sag, 2: eliminate any concentrated points of failure. Several welds would have to give at once to cause the kind of catastrophic failure that would bring the tank down or cause a significant bow/sag to break a seam.

I thought it was important to have something with a bit of structure and substance, rather than just stryrofoam. Again, we will see if 3/4 sealed plywood and 1/4 cork is up to the task.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

Day 3. No leaks.
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member

Your graphic shows "Cable Heater". Are you using some type of heater that can be hidden or do you just mean the cord for a regular submersible heater?

Real Name
    Peter

I'm using Hydor substrate heating cable.. 25W for each tank.. with a supplemental 25W heater in the Sump.... All controlled by my homemade aquarium controller.

Hydor115v25wHydroKable.jpg

I have an NDC Relay Board that operates off of the I2C bus from my homemade controller. RTD in the sump that is connected to the controller will trigger a relay board that will turn on all 4 cable heaters and the aux heater in the sump. Doing the same for C02 controller, using a pH probe in the sump that is connected to the controller that will trigger a relay that will energize/de-energize the solenoid valve attached to my 15lb CO2 tank. CO2 reactor is on the outfeed of the MAG return pump.

DashboardUI.png

When I really start moving on the whole build, I'll document the Mini-Rack in a Build thread. For now, I'll continue on with the modifcations to strengthen the inexpensive HomeDepot wire racks.
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast