AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish Tank Rack using multiple HDX 36x14x54 Stands - Bowing Concerns

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Fish Tank Rack using multiple HDX 36x14x54 Stands - Bowing Concerns

I ran all 4 tanks and both sump sections for 2 weeks on the back patio. worked around them plenty... tugged on them, shook them, cleaned then insides, drained them, etc... I'm convinced they will do the job.

Here's some detail on the final mods to the supplmental shelf supports. I made 8 of them, even though I really only need 6... I could get 8 out of a 4x8 sheet...(Guess, I'm saying I can double the number of my tanks without revisiting any woodworking by just employing these 8 supplemental panels for the 8 display tanks.. and do something a little different for the bottom shelf that holds the sump sections and the top shelf that will hold a few small flower pots with vines. If I want to do that my dual chamber sump can easily handle the extra load and I'd just have to score two more cable heaters)

I opted for 3 1-1/4" holes on each end, aligned so that they stagger the wire shelf supports properly to pass cables and plumbing. Everything is routered and sanded for no rough edges. It will all be stained a dark expresso (an almost black brown) with several coats of oil modified finish.

HDXRackSupplementalShelfWholeImage.jpg

The cork is the exact footpring of the 20L aquarium. I chose cork becuase if I ever were to go barebottom, it has a nice psuedo substrate look as opposed to blue or while styrofoam. I think I have sufficient room on each end to work with the smallish 1/2" and 3/4" vinyl tubing and small wiring for heater cable, led stunner strips and small wave pumps (Hydor Koralia 12v minis).

HDXRackSupplementalShelfDetailsold.jpg

I know it's allot of work. Just going for hiding everything so that the aquariums are fully visible front and back. everything else is black and disappears on the ends behind the black metal suports. I think I'm spending too much time on the estetics... oh well...
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

Stained and finished all of the shelf supports. Tried a stain called Ebony. Really should have just painted them black as there is very little wood grain visible. Truth is they won't be very visible, so I've probably spent more time than the application really warrants...

StainingFinishingShelfSupports.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

For better or worse, these stands made the cut and are installed in my mini fish closet that I'm calling the Fish Nook.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?137464

FishNookRacksErected.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

I'm impressed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Just thought I'd update this outside of the build threads....

These rack shave served me very well. I'm going to install 2 more tanks.. At the very top (I have a good ladder). The 5th is already staged. The only issue is that I will need to hang the LED lighting for the new tanks from the ceiling as the rack just won't be tall enough. . That will max out both racks.. and honestly, my entire Fish Nook where they are installed.

TopLeftTankStaged.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12