AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus won't eat?!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Exclamation Discus won't eat?!

Hello all, I come to you today with a problem regarding the appetite of my fish. I had gotten new discus Saturday of this week and for some reason two have stopped eating! I have checked the water parameters with my new master test kit and everything came out great, rather than looking for an explanation I would love a way to fix my problem. If anyone has any ideas on how to correct this and get my discus fully back to normal it would be highly appreciated! Thanks all and have a blessed day!

P.S. The fish look healthy soon I would just hate for any problems to develop over time.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus won't eat?!

Ok what’s the temp in the tank? What are you feeding them? Where did you get them? What were they feeding? How big is the tank how many discus? How often ar3 you changing water and how much are you changing? How big are the discus? . I know lots of ? But the more info the better .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Hey there Iminit! Nice to meet you, below I will describe all the things you have asked for in bullet points

Temp: 87 degrees F
    Food: Hikari Vibra Bites
    Place of purchase: Uncle Sams Los Angels California
    Tank Size: 20 Gallons (Quarantine Tank) Normal tank will be 60 gallons
    Amount of fish: 1 Four Inch, 3 Three Inch
    Water Change: Twice a day 50 percent

Like I said everything you asked for and I'd also like to inform you that the tank is cycled and everything checks out as far as water parameters. I also am purchasing new frozen blackworms and a freeze-dried Beefheart mix. Thanks for your response and I'll keep an eye out for a reply email!
    -Nicholas

Real Name
    Tom

Looks like your doing everything right. Did you mean frozen beefheart and freeze dried blackworms? If not do try the freeze dried blackworms. I have a pair of uncle sams discus. They were slow eaters too. Probably just stress from shipping. They should start eating again. If they don’t raise the temp a little higher. Also try hakari frozen bloodworms as a treat. If you can put up some pics.

Real Name
    Francis

Dan @ California Blackworms sells Frozen Blackworms.

https://www.aquaticfoods.com/FrozenBlackwormsM.html

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Looks like your doing everything right. Did you mean frozen beefheart and freeze dried blackworms? If not do try the freeze dried blackworms. I have a pair of uncle sams discus. They were slow eaters too. Probably just stress from shipping. They should start eating again. If they don’t raise the temp a little higher. Also try hakari frozen bloodworms as a treat. If you can put up some pics.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sometimes in a smaller QT tank there can be bullying. Are the 2 not eating the smaller size? Is the 4" guy being bossy? If you haven't done so try feeding in multiple locations simultaneously and see if the other 2 can get in in the action.
    The other pertinent qn Tom asked which you didn't answer yet was what were they being fed previously. Try to find that out and get some of that food as this will help with the transition. Discus are notorious for not liking change with foods, especially when they're stressed from moving, and having a bully in the mix with nowhere to run...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

I just got a beefheart mix today as well as fresh frozen black worms. The only one not eating was the big guy but I'm sure he will start soon. I also moved the temp up to 88 and I have hope that they'll start to eat regularly. Thanks for all your help!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Actually, the smaller ones are all eating, also the dominant of the tank is the smallest one! The biggest fish at 5 inches is the one who won't eat. Hope you can enlighten me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

I will send a pic in the morning with their morning food. I fed them bloodworms yesterday but the big guy still didn't want to eat. Hopefully tomorrow they will