AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can this be possible? Zero-water-change-store with discus

Default How can this be possible? Zero-water-change-store with discus

Hello, this is my first post.

I had a discus tank many years ago - I am returning to the hobby now. I have used SD as a source of information before, but decided to join today to share the shocking, staggering video below.

If you dont want to watch the whole thing, you will find the discus on 06:00-06:20.

They look surprisingly healthy, but owner swears no water change is EVER performed.

What do you think - will these fish survive? Would they be stunted in the long term? Is owner being irresponsible?

Or could the combination of deep substrate+plants be enough to keep discus in old, ancient water?

Greetings,
    Discobolus

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: How can this be possible? Zero-water-change-store with discus

I’m highly skeptical. It’s probably just to get more views, being a YouTube channel. So much clickbait etc
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is another video on the same store (also claiming the zero water changes).

This one is posted by a store owner who has a youtube channel, "Aquarium Co-op".

It looks surprisingly legit. They say that the store is famous for its unconventional approach.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

This has come up before. The question to ask is how long the discus have been in the tank mentioned in the video.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The question has always been how much and how often. Not never vs how often. One hundred percent per day at one extreme or never or anywhere in between would be what to debate. Logic would indicate that zero would seem impossible because unless there is an extreme filtering process in play then the build up of pollution and the increase of TDS, ammonia, and other because of evaporation would render the water toxic. No one has ever proven what percent need be changed but never seems questionable.

I watched a portion of the video and two questions came to me. This would not apply to bare tanks because is it not the heavy planting that which allows eliminates the need for water change? If one chose to plant a tank the store owner admitted that there is time invested in maintaining the plants and because of the heavy plant growth the fish have so many places to hide that your timid ones would not be seen very often. The trade is time taken to change water or time take to landscape the tank. There would be an initial investment in purchasing and then replacing from time to time that many plants as well.
    Last edited by peewee1; 08-06-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Real Name
    Willie

Fish store owners do not take care of discus. All the fish get exactly the same treatment. I used to be a supplier to local fish stores. But I got tired of seeing fish I spawned live in a tank where the temperature was kept at 75F and never got fed. After that, I only sell spawn to local hobbyists. So watching a fish store video has nothing to do with how to raise discus.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Something that I did not see or hear because I did not view the entire video is what was the store owner's turnover rate. How long were the fish living in those tanks be fore they were either sold or died? Short term living conditions are much different than long term care. It works with humans somewhat the same. Insurance companies sell long term care policies to any who will buy, and they are a good deal n a way, for either 2 year or 4 year terms. Why, because insurance companies studies have shown that if a person who is living in a long term care situation, nursing home they are commonly known as, has between a 2 and a 4 year life expectancy once they begin living in a long term care facility. "Long term care" is actually short term life span according to those statistics. With fish maybe the same. No water change sounds good but what is the fish's life span under those conditions compared to one who gets somewhere from 25% change per month up to 100% change per day?
    Last edited by peewee1; 08-06-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "In Theory There Is No Difference Between Theory and Practice, While In Practice There Is." Certainly there is some point where an aquarium with the right volume and composition of water, right lighting, heat, food source, substrate, pH, kH, gH, TDS (or EC if you prefer), ORP, and some concoction of specific ions, eg sulfates, nitrates, phosphates, etc. where no water changes are necessary. Works for the earth (arguably at this point) so something smaller should in theory also work. Unfortunately the road map to that place I think is a whole lot more complex than deep substrate, lots and lots of plants and a little extra CO2.

Maybe someone will figure it out, the costs of that kind of in depth research usually include several failures first. Think I will just change water and buy fewer discus.

Registered Member

Local fish store I visit regularly some hard to find topical fish.

C!iff

Registered Member

Local fish store I visit regularly some hard to find topical fish. The store has been in this location for decades.

C!iff

I had the impression that they were legit.

I just wonder how stunted would a discus be if raised long-term in one of those tanks. The ones in the video look surprisingly healthy.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Discobolus of Myron View Post
    I had the impression that they were legit.

I just wonder how stunted would a discus be if raised long-term in one of those tanks. The ones in the video look surprisingly healthy.
    Like I said earlier in this thread. How long do you think those discus have been in that tank? Perhaps the discus were placed there simply for the video lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

The video is misleading in that although the water may not have been changed the fish living there may only be living there for only a week. I just now viewed Kenny's entire August offering. Everyone one of those fish are living on Forrest's hand. No water at all! Forrest and Kenny are not suggesting that a discus can live with out water at all! Short term they can but so with those fish featured in the no water change video.

Registered Member

Social media postings are made not to post facts. They are attempts at manipulating perception. If a fact comes across it is by mere coincidence.

Registered Member

Fake news. Zuckerberg and Facebook are guilty of data mining. It won Trump the presidential election.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast