AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammonia Exposure During Acclimation Process

Registered Member

Default Re: Ammonia Exposure During Acclimation Process

I have one more thing to add lol: discus are smart fish that imho have good memories. If they go through some kind of traumatic experience (in their little minds), they don't forget it. Meaning they may go sulk for days or weeks -or- get skittish all over again if they sense that traumatic event is going to happen again. Having a bigger school (8 or 10 plus) and plenty of clean water can help alleviate this sulking stress. Establish your feeding/viewing/lighting/WC routines from the get-go while they are young/new. They are big time creatures of habit. In a lot of ways, they are more like cats than other kinds of tropical fish. 🐱

Real Name
    Francis

After reading all the above threads and IMO Pat (Second Hand Pat) is the best method

.F7BEA572-A9EA-40ED-A834-85D7F7E9AC04.jpeg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Frank

+1

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    After reading all the above threads and IMO Pat (Second Hand Pat) is the best method

.F7BEA572-A9EA-40ED-A834-85D7F7E9AC04.jpeg

Real Name
    Mervin

+ for Pat here as well.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Corona99 View Post
    I am relatively new to this forum since I have been out of the hobby for some time. In retirement I decided to get back in the hobby with Discus (long time bucket list item). Needless to say it didn't take long to make my first costly mistake. I received 6 (3.3.5") Discus yesterday (8/5/2020) about 10:00 AM and thought I was following the suppliers drip method acclimation instruction to the letter only to find out it did not apply when the destination tank PH is higher (7.4 in my case) than the bagged fish. As a result all of the fish were probably exposed to some level of toxic ammonia for 30-45 minutes. Needless to say all 6 of them are alive in my tank but acting abnormally (mostly hiding as a group, not eating, etc). Their color is still good but there is evidence of light fin burn on at least two of them. I have some questions for anyone who may have some experience here.

1. Will these fish recover and in what time frame?
    2. Is there any treatment for this?
    3. What can be done at this point?
    4. Your thoughts?

Best Regards
    Thanks to everyone for the information below. I am still learning how to respond here. Yesterday I was successful in getting them to start eating so things are moving forward! Thanks Again!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wayne

I'm not good getting rid of the reflections but here are the new arrivals. They are now eating but still hiding when they see me coming! Here is the group! Fish Day 3.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Wayne,

They look good. Approach the tank nice and slow from one end of the tank. This gives the fish a chance to move to the other end of the tank and still feel safe. Park a low stool in front of the tank and observe them for a while.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wayne

Thanks Pat! I will try the suggestion. I have not turned on their tank lights yet, only room light since they were initially very skittish with light. Hopefully the shyness will improve.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wayne

I just wanted to thank all of you for your comments/insight. It has been very helpful and the fish are at least eating frozen blood worms and are adjusting. Perhaps it is me who is adjusting more!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jose sally

I’ve read Hot Rocks’ quarantine protocol (I’d post a link here but I don’t know how) and it’s awesome. I’ve stocked a pile of meds and am ready for a new fish (once I take care of this pesky velvet of course). I’m just confused about this part:

“Acclimate (float for 30-45min in bag and release) fish directly into a QT that is pre-dosed to 1.0ppm copper (copper power) upon arrival. This is much safer than drip acclimation and removes the possibility of ammonia exposure during acclimation.”

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by burekvid View Post
    I’ve read Hot Rocks’ quarantine protocol (I’d post a link here but I don’t know how) and it’s awesome. I’ve stocked a pile of meds and am ready for a new fish (once I take care of this pesky velvet of course). I’m just confused about this part:

“Acclimate (float for 30-45min in bag and release) fish directly into a QT that is pre-dosed to 1.0ppm copper (copper power) upon arrival. This is much safer than drip acclimation and removes the possibility of ammonia exposure during acclimation.”
    Hi Jose, I found Hot Rocks post and he is talking about QT for saltwater fish. This forum is dedicated to discus so QT is a little different. Best to read Al's QT process if you are keeping discus http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jose sally

Thanks for your quick reply. vidmate apk download insta downloader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12