AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Controlling the pH in RO water - FLORIDA people to the front! lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Post Controlling the pH in RO water - FLORIDA people to the front! lol

Hello everyone,

My name is Luiz Oliveira, I am from beautiful Miami Florida. Beautiful, but with NASTY water, specially for us fish keepers. I started a discus tank and because the water in Florida is basically poison, I was instructed to use 100% RO water. with that being said, I have been re-mineralizing the water with Seachem's Discus Trace and I also use a bit of Prime as "insurance" in each water change. The problem I am having is pH fluctuation and I think it's starting to take a toll on my fish. I started using Seachem's Discus buffer with Neutral Regulator to target a steady pH, but so far I haven't had much success, pH still drops overtime.

My question is: what do Florida people do when using 100% RO water? I don't really have a "targeted pH" per se, I just want it to stay stable for my fish. if I don't touch the RO, pH drops to 4.0-4.3 (which the fish has been living okay with that but the few live plants I had are goners lol). Ideally I would like to raise somewhere near 6-6.5 and most importantly: KEEP IT THERE!

Suggestions please? Thank you in advance!

Luiz

Default Re: Controlling the pH in RO water - FLORIDA people to the front! lol

If you change 1/3 of the amount of water in the tank daily you shouldn't have a problem with pH fluctuation.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the quick reply. That would make sense, however, what would happen if I have to go away for a couple days on business trips, or something would prevent me from doing it daily, would that become an issue (as it relates to pH)?

Also, before anyone asks, yes I DO age my water. I store it in 5g containers, when I mix in the buffers in these 5g containers, I get to the "target pH", but once the water gets into the tank it changes the pH again (lower). I am assuming that's because the "new pH water" from the 5g is getting mixed and diluted with the "old pH water" from the tank correct? hence, is it save to assume that overtime, with regular water changes, it will even out?

Also, this is what it says on seachem's website about BOTH of these products (example one): "Discus BufferŽ will lower pH and keep it lowered." so if the buffer is supposed to "keep it lowered", once I get the targeted pH in the aquarium, will I still need to do daily water changes (for these purposes of pH)?

At the end of the day, it is not the pH that I am chasing, it's the kH which right now is at 1 - Any idea what I can do to stabilize and increase the kH in the RO water?

I'm sorry for all the questions....lol.....

Luiz

The only way I can think you could sneak away for a few days is by setting up an automatic drip system.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

You should be able to leave the water alone when you're away. If the discus doesn't get fed (and they can handle a 2-week absence with no problem), the water doesn't get fouled. Just go with the water changes per Liz and your fish will do fine.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Luiz,

I am in Florida also near Orlando. I do not adhere that Florida water is poison. I am on a well and pull my water from the Florida aquifer. So what are your water parameters out of your tap water? My well water is ph 8.2 after aging, KH/GH of about 160 ppm and TDS of 180-220 depending on the time of year and I have wild discus living in this water.

When I do use RO water I mix 2/3 RO to 1/3 tap. This give me a TDS of about 80 with a healthy KH. When you mix RO with tap you really need to mix in a brute container while using an airstone. Since you are mixing in 1 gallon jugs and you pour that in the tank the water ends up mixing in the tank which I would think cause the water parameters to be bouncing about especaially with the extra stuff you are using to try to control the ph/kh.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Luiz,

I am in Florida also near Orlando. I do not adhere that Florida water is poison. I am on a well and pull my water from the Florida aquifer. So what are your water parameters out of your tap water? My well water is ph 8.2 after aging, KH/GH of about 160 ppm and TDS of 180-220 depending on the time of year and I have wild discus living in this water.

When I do use RO water I mix 2/3 RO to 1/3 tap. This give me a TDS of about 80 with a healthy KH. When you mix RO with tap you really need to mix in a brute container while using an airstone. Since you are mixing in 1 gallon jugs and you pour that in the tank the water ends up mixing in the tank which I would think cause the water parameters to be bouncing about especaially with the extra stuff you are using to try to control the ph/kh.

Pat
    Hi Pat,

I'm glad to hear from you, you're probably in similar situation than mine. as far as my tap water paraments out of my tap, pH is around the same as your 8.5, straight out of the tap, not sitting over night (I'll have to let you know tomorrow what it looks like). KH straight out of the tap reads between 50-100ppm, gH 0-50ppm (sorry I can't be very precise since I don't have a TDS meter, maybe I should invest in one).

So I have a few questions for you:

-Can I still continue to use the 5g water storage tank? It is just easier for me to store and carry it around than a brute. if so, should I do 2/3 RO (3.5 gallons) plus 1/3 of tap (1.5 gallons)? would that work?
    -with this dilution, do I still need to do WC daily? how do you control Chlorine, Choramine? Do you use Prime for that?
    - I should only introduce this new mixture while doing SMALL WC's correct? so I won't shock the fish.

One last question: do you mind if I message you privately, so you can walk me step by step? I feel like a need a good, close by mentor! Can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond

Luiz.