AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubifex

Default Tubifex

Has anyone here ever cultured tubifex worms? I'm thinking of trying it. There's a good tutorial on line. My biggest problem is finding a place to do it. The fish room is too hot and I don't have any places left. I'll have to be creative.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Tubifex

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Has anyone here ever cultured tubifex worms? I'm thinking of trying it. There's a good tutorial on line. My biggest problem is finding a place to do it. The fish room is too hot and I don't have any places left. I'll have to be creative.
    Would beneath the chicken coop be an option?

I figured out a place where I could put it in the house. I'd make a concrete stand for it. It's in my former dining room which I turned into a dog grooming room. I have a huge dog cage in a corner that I can remove. I am becoming weirder every day. Name one other person who has a tubifex worm culture in the house.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I figured out a place where I could put it in the house. I'd make a concrete stand for it. It's in my former dining room which I turned into a dog grooming room. I have a huge dog cage in a corner that I can remove. I am becoming weirder every day. Name one other person who has a tubifex worm culture in the house.
    This weirdo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ4T6QNgJrE

Could you grow black worms the same way? And why would you not?

One would think so but so many people have tried and failed that I simply don't think it's possible. Tubifex for sure are easier. Remember, tubifex have the ability to live in sewer water.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Great idea. As long as you can control their environment you'll have a good clean source of food.

Real Name
    Willie

Never had experience with tubifex, but I ended up with a blackworm colony in my tank accidentally. I had a 30 Gal long with angelfish and bristlenose. The tank was barebottom with two ceramic caves. I fed blackworms to the angelfish back then, before I knew better. When the angelfish started pairing off, I moved them out to a bigger tank and just threw fed the bristlenose flake food and spirulina discs.

A month later, I looked into the tank to see that blackworms had survived and were proliferating in the caves. (BN's absolutely will not eat anything alive.) For awhile, I could net out some blackworms daily for my other fish. I'm sure if I fed the blackworms, there would have been a lot more. I don't know if that's the best way to raise blackworms, but this is certainly one way of doing it.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I think I'll use this guy's method. https://wormman.blog/tubifex-worm-cu...reeding-setup/
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Why do people constantly inquire and risk disaster with tubifex? I suppose they may be ok if homegrown but why go thru the effort? There are so many other foods you can feed. Again, why risk it?

Just like you said, there is no risk with homegrown. I still haven't tackled the job (too many other projects on my plate) but I will. I feed commercially available foods of course, but I am of the belief that the best fish food is live food.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

LMK how it goes. I might just do it as well - as long as wife doesn’t know

I'll for sure post about it but it will be likely be in the fall or winter before I get to it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

After reading all of this I bought a small container of freeze dry tubifex worms. fdtw.

Registered Member

did anyone give this a try

No, too many other things that I need to do. Besides, I used the place I was going to use for the culture for something else.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast