AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First week of quaritine and a few problem have occurred!!

Registered Member

Default First week of quaritine and a few problem have occurred!!

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I just purchased 8 new discus im on day 3 of quarintine

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Some aren't eating, clamped fins and white tips on fins and some damaged fins and popeye but only one eye not both.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

4 tbs of aquarium salt of after every waterchange

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    50 gallon tank
    8 fish ranging from 3" to 6"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

80 percent daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    5 months

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Add prime to tank

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 88

- ph __7.6

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____straight tap water

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Flakes, brineshrimp and granules

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Registered Member

Default Re: First week of quaritine and a few problem have occurred!!

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

The salt treatment seems right to me but if it were me I would be changing water but in a lesser percent. Five tablespoons for each 10 gallons.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Where did you purchase your discus? We're the fish shipped to you? If yes, how did you acclimate them for your tank?
    The bigger snow white looks to have ammonia burns on its fins.
    Did the fish with the bulging eye arrive like that or did it develop since arriving? I think I read here somewhere that microbubbles can result in popeye but I cannot be certain.
    I suggest aerating & heating your water change water for 24 hours before doing your 80% water changes. Still add prime to the tank immediately before transferring in your water.
    I agree with Norm on the 5tbsp/10gal salt dosing, and replace with your water changes.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 08-09-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Registered Member

With the Prime are you adding 2 drops per gallon of new water?

Registered Member

I picked them up and drove home 6 hrs! I added cups of water to there bad before putting them in qt tank! I didn't notice popeye till second day! So the micro bubbles from big water change will do that??

Registered Member

I'm dosing prime per bottle instructions

Registered Member

and i dont have ageing barrel for my water

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donwon View Post
    and i dont have ageing barrel for my water
    Tap water is okay. When I water change I add tap water from a shower head, then I add Prime as directed before I pour the water into the tank. That has worked good for me for the past two years. There may be a percent of water change that is too much per day. Try cutting to 30% and stay with the salt for a while.

Registered Member

Ok i always put prime in as soon as I start the water. I'll cut my water changes down thks

Real Name
    Brian

It's good that you are dedicated to your water changes, but 80% is a lot of straight tap water to change without aging. I would reduce to 40%. If you're committed to the large water changes, maybe do 2 smaller per day instead of one large one. I would also recommend picking up an aging barrel if possible. Water in winter time can be even more harsh on your fish than in summer time. In summer I can do about 40-50% straight from tap. In winter only about 25%. Colder ground water contains higher levels of co2 and it can take longer to dissipate.

Real Name
    Mervin

+1 too much un-aerated tap water. Can be very dangerous. Looks like it in this case. If you see micro bubbles on objects in the tank.

Registered Member

Ok will do thk you!! Im going to eventually get a barrel but I'm in an apartment for now!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's good that you are dedicated to your water changes, but 80% is a lot of straight tap water to change without aging. I would reduce to 40%. If you're committed to the large water changes, maybe do 2 smaller per day instead of one large one. I would also recommend picking up an aging barrel if possible. Water in winter time can be even more harsh on your fish than in summer time. In summer I can do about 40-50% straight from tap. In winter only about 25%. Colder ground water contains higher levels of co2 and it can take longer to dissipate.
    Beep Beep, I'm with Jeep.

Real Name
    Tom

Have you spoke to the seller about the pop eye? Does seem strange to get it so quickly. How are the rest of the discus? They will be shy for a few days. That’s normal. Was it a breeder or seller or a pet store that you bought them from? Also what filtration are you using? Fora 50g I would do 25g daily for water changes. I’ve read about the micro bubbles before but I’ve never had a problem with them. Strange for it to happen so quickly. Most Popeyes is an infection that can be cured with many different meds. If the rest of the fish are good I would put it in a qt tank and medicate separately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast