ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon blood or non pigeon blood?

Default Pigeon blood or non pigeon blood?

Can anyone tell me which discus strains can have pigeon blood genes and which are non pigeons? Like do red turq have pigeon blood genes, what are snakeskins and leopards..etc.

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Pigeon blood or non pigeon blood?

Ok I’m no expert but red turqs were around before the PBs. So no PB in them. Red snakeskin and leopard I think you could have either with or without pb in them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok I’m no expert but red turqs were around before the PBs. So no PB in them. Red snakeskin and leopard I think you could have either with or without pb in them.
    I am pretty sure while there may have been pigeons before white man settled on Lawn guyland there were no pigeon bloods there. You yourself may have been the first to introduce them to the surrounding waters of the Island itself. Pigeon based discus have many names such as Marlboro, Melon, Tangerine, White Butterfly, Blue Panda, Red/White, Yellow/White, Mercury, Dark Angel, and Golden

Thanks for your replies! I forgot to ask about blue turqs. Are they same as red turqs? And are red turqs safe to cross with blue diamonds and heckels?

Also can you cross blue diamonds with heckels? Sorry for so many questions, discus genetics makes me very excited. I tried reading different forums but it made me even more confused...

Blue Turks have a blue base and Red Turks have a red base. Same with Snake Skins. You are safe crossing any non pigeon to any other non pigeon.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Blue Turks have a blue base and Red Turks have a red base. Same with Snake Skins. You are safe crossing any non pigeon to any other non pigeon.
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Tom

Is there a problem with mixing turqs (reds or blues) with pbs. Or is it just the results are not wanted? I think these are of that mix.7DA3036C-0430-480D-A89C-EC12791FB6B1.jpg8D2E6AE1-EA6D-40D5-A7A5-476AB132B73B.jpg.

Real Name
    Francis

If I remember correctly, a discus breeder overseas mentioned that:

Red turquiose, have blue striations on a red base whilst,Blue turquiose have red striations on a blue base.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

They sure look like crosses to me. If you like them it's no big deal but it is considered a very serious fault in the shows.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I like them . They are 2 of my first and bought from local store. No I won’t be going to any shows .

Yes I like them . They are 2 of my first and bought from local store. No I won’t be going to any shows .
    I like them too ❤ They look pretty cool with those yellow eyes

Registered Member

I would like to find a few of those black and red and blue discus like yours.

Real Name
    Mervin

The peppering is a defect from the bars being spread out over the whole body instead of strips. Peppering = bars. The first Pb was much like the pic and as time went on, breeders have bred most of it out making them cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The peppering is a defect from the bars being spread out over the whole body instead of strips. Peppering = bars. The first Pb was much like the pic and as time went on, breeders have bred most of it out making them cleaner.
    Now it makes good sense to me...So when you cross strains, it is likely that the other discus will at most get the stress bars...

Whereas if anyone breeds pigeon blood (which is a defect of the bars) with non pigeons...Instead of forming stress bars it usually spreads throughout the body? I hope I am right...

So does that mean snakeskins with stress bars are safe to breed with non pigeons?

Real Name
    Mervin

PB with PB. If you mix striated and PB you'll get heavy peppering. Most folks will stir clear of heavy peppering so best not to breed then;might not sell as well.Usually culls today from places that cull their discus for that. Some would think it's like taking a step backward in a breeding program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast