ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is happening?

Default What is happening?

This discus is 2 inch in size and it has both stress bars and peppering. Its stress bar is darker on the fifth bar. The bars arent showing up on the picture but this discus has it. I have never seen something like this but you may have seen this many times. I don't know if this is just a fail in breeding to try and achieve something...I don't know..I have no idea. Can anyone explain what could be happening here?

20200810_212709.jpg
    Last edited by OrangeG; 08-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: What is happening?

Looks like someone had the bright idea of crossing a Heckel with a PB. Where'd you get these fish, anyway?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Looks like someone had the bright idea of crossing a Heckel with a PB. Where'd you get these fish, anyway?
    I bought it from my LFS...Just wanted to see how it looks like when it grows up 😅

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    I bought it from my LFS...Just wanted to see how it looks like when it grows up ��
    It looks somewhat like a Heckel crossed with a Mercury or a Dark Angel. However many of the Alenquer breed will occasionally produce Heckel bars and not be Heckels. Example is the Ica Red. A Red Alenquer with Heckel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    It looks somewhat like a Heckel crossed with a Mercury or a Dark Angel. However many of the Alenquer breed will occasionally produce Heckel bars and not be Heckels. Example is the Ica Red. A Red Alenquer with Heckel bars.
    Yea it could be a red alenquer with heckel bars...Have to wait to let its colour pop up..I guess to find out what it really is...

But the guy told me he ordered pigeon bloods and he received this odd one. Who knows what happened...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The faint markings in the fins and face, together with the black in the fins, make it clearly a PB strain...as for the presence of the heckel bar, that would be a mystery and a lot of wild guesses unless whoever bred it came forward to say exactly what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The faint markings in the fins and face, together with the black in the fins, make it clearly a PB strain...as for the presence of the heckel bar, that would be a mystery and a lot of wild guesses unless whoever bred it came forward to say exactly what it is...
    What if this discus grows up and becomes pigeon heckel? Just saying lol. I personally don't perceive this one as special. Because if the breeder got something special he would not mix them with pigeon bloods and export them over...with the same price. Just have to let this grow and find out..

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

At a first glance it looks like nerve damage to me.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

It looks more like a locally bred trade in to the LFS TBH. I bought a peppered PB in Australia years ago, it was bright golden yellow with white markings and faint black peppering...I loved that fish!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 08-11-2020 at 09:01 AM.

It looks more like a locally bred trade in to the LFS TBH. I bought a peppered PB in Australia years ago, it was bright golden yellow white white markings and faint black peppering...I loved that fish!
    The way you described it sounds like the fish was really nice...

And Yea I guess so too..The breeder may have no idea. I don't know really what was going on and what I ended up with...

Real Name
    Daniel

Lol, that's one of the mysteries of growing out discus...what they look like as fully colored adults can be intriguing and remarkable...time will tell

Lol, that's one of the mysteries of growing out discus...what they look like as fully colored adults can be intriguing and remarkable...time will tell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

This actually looks beautiful! Might just be me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Theioz View Post
    This actually looks beautiful! Might just be me though.
    Does look beautiful but for the real beauty...have to wait till it gets to adult 😉

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeG View Post
    Does look beautiful but for the real beauty...have to wait till it gets to adult ��
    This could be one of those ugly duckling deals. It will mature into a beautiful swan and every one will want it. There may be something unusual brewing there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast