ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How are discus strains crossbred?

Default How are discus strains crossbred?

I wanted to know how are discus crossbred? Like someone wanted to cross heckel with red turqs...

Should 3 or more juvenile heckels have to grow with 3 or more red turqs? Do you have to put more discus to increase the odds of having pairs of different strains? Or are there other ways of doing it?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: How are discus strains crossbred?

Any two adult discus who are in the mood, assuming the appropriate sex balance, will mate. For Heckel crosses, these are typically one way whereby the female is Heckel. These fish do not have to be raised together, nor do they necessarily have to spend a lot of time together. When I force pair two discus, they'll usually spawn within two weeks. If they don't do it in 14 days, I'll break up the pair and try a different combination.

I'm only aware of a single verified report of a successful Heckel X Heckel cross. That would be the inimitable Herman Chan of Fairy Lake Discus Palace in San Francisco back in the mid-80's.
    Last edited by Willie; 08-10-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Any two adult discus who are in the mood, assuming the appropriate sex balance, will mate. For Heckel crosses, these are typically one way whereby the female is Heckel. These fish do not have to be raised together, nor do they necessarily have to spend a lot of time together. When I force pair two discus, they'll usually spawn within two weeks. If they don't do it in 14 days, I'll break up the pair and try a different combination.

I'm only aware of a single verified report of a successful Heckel X Heckel cross. That would be the inimitable Herman Chan of Fairy Lake Discus Palace in San Francisco back in the mid-80's.
    my first breeding stocks came from Herman mid 80's. If I recollect the male Heckel breed easier than the female do. As such I would attempt to cross a male Heckle with something else that you are interested in.

Well thanks for your replies...I really had no idea about this.

I wanted to know how do you force pair discus? And do heckels breed more readily?

Real Name
    Willie

Force pairing is just putting two adult discus together and see if they'll spawn. Quite often they will. I believe Herman Chan used black worms to get his Heckels to spawn, as they do relatively infrequently. Herman had set up a system to continuously wash his black worms to prevent disease.

Force pairing is just putting two adult discus together and see if they'll spawn. Quite often they will. I believe Herman Chan used black worms to get his Heckels to spawn, as they do relatively infrequently. Herman had set up a system to continuously wash his black worms to prevent disease.
    Thank for the info Willie! I heard of Herman chan before..I guess he retired? I don't know much about him right now...

Real Name
    Willie

Herman, who's probably in his 80's, has retired. Rumors has it that he owns most of the apartment buildings surrounding his old fish store. If so, good for him!

Herman, who's probably in his 80's, has retired. Rumors has it that he owns most of the apartment buildings surrounding his old fish store. If so, good for him!
    That's good to hear!