AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Siamese Algae Eaters with Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Siamese Algae Eaters with Discus

Hey Everyone,

I have a planted tank that I run with five siamese algae eaters, they're about 3-4 inches long now. I've had them since they were juveniles. Does anyone have experience with SAEs with Discus? I'm not sure if their sporadic behavior will be stressful to the discus. I've also heard some algae eaters like eating the slime coat off of discus. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

The current stocking of the tank is 3 Angelfish, 20-25 Neon Tetras, 10 Pristella Tetras, Handful of Harlequin Rasboras, Handful of Ottocinclus Catfish, Amano Shrimp, 6 Corydoras, 2 Golden Blue Eye Longfin Bushy Nose Pleco, and 5 SAEs. It's a 75 gallon tank and I'm planning on removing all of the angels, tetras, and rasboras to another tank. I ordered 6 beautiful discus from Kenny.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Siamese Algae Eaters with Discus

Yes SAE will be fine with discus. It’s the plecos and ottos you may have to worry about. I have all three in my tanks. If the plecos go after the slime coat they will have to be removed. The ottos are more of an annoyance. One CB of my ottos does eat the slime coat. But I only saw it once.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I like SAE when they are small and young. Once they get 3 -4” they are way fast and stop eating algae eat the fish food before the intended fish do.

Real Name
    Francis

I don’t think Siamese Algae Eaters are suppose to tolerate the high temperature in a discus tank. They prefer water temperature range of 24–26 °C (75–79 °F).Once grown they will prefer to compete for the normal fish food and no longer bother with algae.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

I've had SAE's with discus for years. One of the best cleaners I've ever had. Like mentioned, they get lazy when adults and look for handouts. I replace mine every few years due to there laziness as adults. They will tolerate up to 90 degrees for sure if for any reason you need to raise your temp for example ick.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes SAE will be fine with discus. It’s the plecos and ottos you may have to worry about. I have all three in my tanks. If the plecos go after the slime coat they will have to be removed. The ottos are more of an annoyance. One CB of my ottos does eat the slime coat. But I only saw it once.
    Good to hear that I can keep my SAEs. I feel like they're great foragers (at least for now). I don't think I'll risk keeping my plecos and ottos with my discus at this point...Don't want any unnecessary stress for them. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    I like SAE when they are small and young. Once they get 3 -4” they are way fast and stop eating algae eat the fish food before the intended fish do.
    I agree..Mine are still really active foraging around like the machines they are. However, I'm afraid of them getting to the point where they get lazy. Hopefully it won't be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I don’t think Siamese Algae Eaters are suppose to tolerate the high temperature in a discus tank. They prefer water temperature range of 24–26 °C (75–79 °F).Once grown they will prefer to compete for the normal fish food and no longer bother with algae.
    My current tank is set up at 82 degrees since it is planted. So far the SAEs are doing fine, so hopefully it'll stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I've had SAE's with discus for years. One of the best cleaners I've ever had. Like mentioned, they get lazy when adults and look for handouts. I replace mine every few years due to there laziness as adults. They will tolerate up to 90 degrees for sure if for any reason you need to raise your temp for example ick.
    That's awesome, thanks for your help!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I have SAEs in a tank at 84 degrees and they do fine. For me, at about 4" they start to compete for the fish food instead sticking to algae at which time I relocate them, give them away.

Real Name
    Tom

Mine are all about 4” in 3 different tanks. Yes they eat whatever I drop in but when no food is present they’re cleaning leaves. Mine are always eating . Them and the ottos and the Cory’s make a great cleaning crew.
    Last edited by Iminit; 08-12-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I have come to the conclusion that my clean-up crews going forward will be, while varying by tank, Amanos (you can order XL ones for the chiclid tanks), Corys of various types, and Nerite snails.

Real Name
    Megan

I've had good luck with my SAEs, I have them in my smaller tank (55gal) and they're a great part of the clean up crew. I have a mix though, I always have Cory's, ai think they're magic and go well in just about every type of tank. I also keep some various Dwarf plecos and have never had an issue with them bothering my Discus. I only have Dwarf plecos in my bigger tanks though. Also Nerite snails have done well. I have enjoyed the SAEs as part of the clean up crew, but I don't think I'd ever keep them as the only species doing so.