ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: deformed discus fry or disease?

Registered Member

Default deformed discus fry or disease?

Hello All!

I have a batch of discus fry growing out that are now about 6 weeks old, and i noticed there is a fish who looks deformed. I had not noticed this until last week (there were too many fry to notice indididual abnormalities).

Does the lack of the lower abdomen indicate a genetic deformatlity or is this something pathogen associated? I.e Is this a not too uncommon problem for discus fry that are subjected to viral or bacterial pathogen exposure during early development? Attached is a photo.

If I was to guess it looks like a genetic abnormality, that will mean the fish will have to be culled off because it will be unlikly to survive into adulthood.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Stevedeformed disucs.jpgdeformed disucs.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: deformed discus fry or disease?

The post above shows another fish with a simmilar morthology still swiming in the tank.

The first pictured fish seemed fine to swim and interact with other fish fry, but over the last couple of days stopped eating so this morning was close to death so had to be euthinzed.
    If this is something others have seen I am interested to figure out if I need to combat something within my control.

regards,

Steve

Registered Member

Some slow growth, look at the long forehead the eyes are too close to the edge of the forehead, then the open and short gill plates that are open, some double chin probably
    genetic.

Cliff

Registered Member

Hey Cliff,

Thanks for the thoughts, so the double chin is a genetic abnormality? If the fish has a genetic abnormality it would be expected to have stunted growth, and probable susectability to pathogen attack. Any thoughts on what the genetic defect actually is? I.e Is this a deformity where a part of the internal organs are not properly formed or is it missing an organ? Or is it more likely that the fish is merely susectable to infection and slow growth, and the double chin becomes a phenologological trait as opposed to the double chin being controlled by a geological trait?

Thanks,

Steve

Registered Member

I have first seen this double chin back in the 80's from one local breeder. Apparently breeders are breeding this type of form to establish a fix trait.
    I have not hear of any slow growth of disease related strictly related to this double chin Discus form, but I do see that the BullDog Discus form does
    have an shorter spinal also some of the high body with the saddle nose tend to miss eating their food something like an horse with blinders.

Cliff

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I have first seen this double chin back in the 80's from one local breeder. Apparently breeders are breeding this type of form to establish a fix trait.
    I have not hear of any slow growth of disease related strictly related to this double chin Discus form, but I do see that the BullDog Discus form does
    have an shorter spinal also some of the high body with the saddle nose tend to miss eating their food something like an horse with blinders.

Cliff
    Thanks for the insight Cliff...its a relief finding some good valuable information on here from time to time. All your posts are certainly worth reading.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time