ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New member from New Jersey, it’s hot in here

Registered Member

Default New member from New Jersey, it’s hot in here

Hello everyone, I am so excited; l purchased my first discus( 4 juveniles) aweek ago. I have many questions however the more I read the more clearer my understanding. Any-who, my issue is the temperature. Ok, my fish are currently being quarantine in a fish room I set up; in a 20 gallon. Now, hold onthey will be placed in a 65 gallon once the isolation period is over. So, the room temperature is 81 according to thermostat and I have a heater in the tank set at 82. My concern is the aquarium thermometer reading is 87 and on some of the hot days; we had temps in the 90; I am get reading in the upper 90 in the aquarium. I change the water, but i am afraid it might cook my fish when I
    am at work. Hope someone can explain temperature in the room v temperature in the aquarium. Oh, I have a exhaust fan, in that room as well. Hazy hot summer days.

Default Re: New member from New Jersey, it’s hot in here

I'm in Mississippi and it's consistently been in the 90's here and it is very hot in the fish room even with the exhaust fan. My tanks are all 82 to 84. I don't know why yours is so high. Could you have a heater with a broken thermostat? Don't worry about temps in the 90's with Discus, though. They can take it just fine.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

BLUF, if your tank temp is higher than ambient room temp (and you are not using a halogen or incandescent bulb to light the tank) and higher than your heater temp then either the heater controller or the tank thermometer is broken. Although discus can tolerate temps above 90, the O2 saturation will drop as temps go up and your fish are in a small tank. Is your tank heater on when the temp is in the 90s and the heater is set to 82?

Real Name
    Brian

What brand heater do you have? I would suspect either the heater is malfunctioning or the thermostat is not accurate.

Real Name
    Tom

Well welcome to discus keeping . First thing to check is the thermometer. Put a second one next to it and see what you get. If the same unplug your heater see if the temp goes down. If needing a new heater check the online prices of both Petco and petsmart. Both places honor there online prices. If the temp stays the same you may want to think of a different place for the discus. Next is the 65 in the same room? Are there fish already in the 65? If so what type?

Registered Member

Thank you, everyone. I think it was my heater. It was a Hitop heater which I had a while. I am currently going to order a fuval heater and a inkbird itc308s temperature controller for aquarium. Hopefully, with this purchase ; I will have peace of mind. If, there is something better than with I am getting ; I am open for suggestions.

Registered Member

Hi Iminit,

To answer your question, the 65 gallon aquarium has currently 2 brittle nose pleco and servuram cichlid. That will be moved to another aquarium. I have my 65 in my living room, which will be my display tank. The 65 has been set up close to a year; I just push the button on my purchase of discus. To be honest, I was afraid to buy them because of all the negative stuff about them such as being very dainty, water changes and temperature . So, far I have not had any problems with them beside regulating the temperature.

Real Name
    Tom

Only thing left is pictures . Warm clean water and lots of food. How big are they? What are you feeding. The plecos should be alright.