AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Which HOB filters for 90g tank?

Registered Member

Default Which HOB filters for 90g tank?

Hi everyone,

I've been in the fish keeping hobby since 2005. I've had FO freshwater tanks, planted tanks, and a small reef tank. This is the first time that I'll be keeping Discus.

I just bought a 90g Marineland tank today. Super excited to get into the planning. I'm also a huge HOB filter fan. I tried a canister before, and just don't like them. HOBs are much easier to work with for me.

I really like the Aqua Clear series, but open to other suggestions. Has anyone ran an Aqua Clear 110 on a 90 before?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by igotgats; 08-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Which HOB filters for 90g tank?

I run two Aquaclear 110 for my 120 gallons.

DSCF0737.jpg

DSCF0835.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by igotgats View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been in the fish keeping hobby since 2005. I've had FO freshwater tanks, planted tanks, and a small reef tank. This is the first time that I'll be keeping Discus.

I just bought a 90g Marineland tank today. Super excited to get into the planning. I'm also a huge HOB filter fan. I tried a canister before, and just don't like them. HOBs are much easier to work with for me.

I really like the Aqua Clear series, but open to other suggestions. Has anyone ran an Aqua Clear 110 on a 90 before?

Thoughts?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

On my 90 I have a tidal 110 and a marineland 350. Tanks always clear. Marineland is tried and true as is the aquaclear. The tidal is also a great filter. Any 2 of these will work great. Good luck and looking forward to pictures when you get it going. Ask lots of questions and do a lot of reading. Discus can be easy but no mater what they are demanding!

Real Name
    Mervin

AC 110 are the best HOB filter you can buy. IOM

Registered Member

Appreciate it. I've never done a tank thread before on a forum, but I think it'll be officially time. This is the biggest tank I've ever had, so I'm already bouncing off the walls.

I've been in this game far too long. I'm going to be asking a ton of questions. Half the fun of this hobby is asking questions, and planning IMO.

I'd suggest 2 AC 110's to do a great job.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    On my 90 I have a tidal 110 and a marineland 350. Tanks always clear. Marineland is tried and true as is the aquaclear. The tidal is also a great filter. Any 2 of these will work great. Good luck and looking forward to pictures when you get it going. Ask lots of questions and do a lot of reading. Discus can be easy but no mater what they are demanding!
    Appreciate it. I've never done a tank progression thread on a forum before. But, I think it's officially time. This is the biggest tank I've ever had so I'm already bouncing off the walls.

I've been in this game far too long. Asking questions, finding out info, watching YT vids is half the fun IMO.

Registered Member

I had to return my AC 110 due to a noisy motor hum. my AC 50 and 70 are quiet.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    I had to return my AC 110 due to a noisy motor hum. my AC 50 and 70 are quiet.
    I've found you need to do some hacking to get them quiet. Pop the plastic propeller off the impeller and wind a thin strip of teflon tape around where it snaps on, then put the propeller back on nice and snug. Also coat the pin with some foodgrade lube once in a while. The pin needs to be replaced once a year to keep quiet. The impeller will wear off the coating on the pin and it will lose its slick surface, at which point the rattling reallybl starts.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I run two Aquaclear 110 for my 120 gallons.

DSCF0737.jpg

DSCF0835.jpg
    Francis,
    You got some really great looking Discus there.

Cliff

Real Name
    TONY

I actually still run my 2 original AC 500's (now 110's) on my 125g in addition to my canisters. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"