AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus with stringy poop?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas Galvan

Exclamation Discus with stringy poop?

Hey all, I come to you today because my discus is not eating a lot and continues to have stringy whitish poop. If anyone knows what it is and how to treat it please tell me before I move them to their new 40 gallon home! Thanks!

Default Re: Discus with stringy poop?

500 mg pure Metro per 10 gallons daily for 10 days. Raise temp to 90 to 93. Do 75% WC daily while under treatment. Treat all Discus in the tank. Treat in a BB tank
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    500 mg pure Metro per 10 gallons daily for 10 days. Raise temp to 90 to 93. Do 75% WC daily while under treatment. Treat all Discus in the tank. Treat in a BB tank
    Is the Metro only effective for 8 hours? If so then the dose would be 3 applications per day for 10 days? I just completed a complete tank 10 day treatment today using 1 treatment every 8 hours.

You don't need to do that, peewee. I've tried it both ways and once daily does the same job as 3 times daily.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

You don't need to do that, peewee. I've tried it both ways and once daily does the same job as 3 times daily.
    You have just reduced my next Metro expense by 3 times. After 10 days my fish seem fine after the triple dose treatment. I had been waiting for the treatment to end. Now I am going to swap males in the breeding tank after 14 days of non production from male that is now in the breeding tank. The male that had spawned with the female in the past would beat her up in his attempt to protect the fry that thought a different male would treat her better. As it turned out he will not fertilize the eggs. My plan is to put the productive male back with the female and then after the eggs hatch and he still battles with her is to eight set up a screen or to move her to the community tank and leave him to raise the fry on his own.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

The 8 hour standard seems to come from the 1/2 life in humans which is amazingly ~ 8 hours. Does not actually apply at all to how long it lasts in aquarium water because in humans the drug is partially metabolized by the liver and partly eliminated by the kidneys. Only caveat is that metro is light sensitive and inactivated to some degree by sunlight, so may want to leave the lights off. Not sure what the effect of artificial lighting is.

Registered Member

How much is 500mg of pure metro in terms of teaspoon or tablespoon?

Real Name
    Frank

I calculated 1/4 tsp per 20g. That's pure metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    500 grams would be 0.1 tablespoon. 3 teaspoon is 1 tablespoon. Now we get into higher math. I don't suspect anyone has a 10 gallon discus tank. At the very least 20 for a breeding tank otherwise maybe a 50 gallon for average. 5 times 10 is 50. A 50 gallon tank would need a 2500 gram dose which is .5 tablespoons, or 1/2 tablespoon for the 50 gallon tank. If you are a woman, wife, mother, of if you are a guy and have one of those types on hand and they are a baker then they have the trusty tablespoon. Seek out said application. Best place to look is a kitchen drawer. Voila! Now, if you have the 100 gallon bad boy then your life gets a whole lo easier because 1 tablespoon is in fact 5000 mg.