ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Covering a tank with a canopy

Registered Member

Default Covering a tank with a canopy

I have a 90g DT that I just bought with a canopy. Regardless of which fish, I'm a huge supporter of covering the top of the tank for jumpers. I plan to have other fish in my tank besides Discus. Hopeful for Neon Tetras and/or Rummynose.

I'm going to have two HOB filters on it. Is there any other options for having a top around HOBs than glass tops? I have the DIY screen method from Bulk Reef Supply. Has anyone done screens with stuff hanging on the back like a canister or HOB?

Tank is tempered, so I can't have it drilled for a sump.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Covering a tank with a canopy

I’m not a fan of the canopy top. To me glass, plastic or acrylic is better and easier. Does the canopy need to be removed to work on the tank?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by igotgats View Post
    I have a 90g DT that I just bought with a canopy. Regardless of which fish, I'm a huge supporter of covering the top of the tank for jumpers. I plan to have other fish in my tank besides Discus. Hopeful for Neon Tetras and/or Rummynose.

I'm going to have two HOB filters on it. Is there any other options for having a top around HOBs than glass tops? I have the DIY screen method from Bulk Reef Supply. Has anyone done screens with stuff hanging on the back like a canister or HOB?

Hi igotgats,

Try these, PLASKOLITE 0.157-in T x 30-in W x 36-in L White Corrugated Plastic Sheet @10 bucks at Lowes or Home depot. You can do custom cut outs and they make a nice light diffuser. You can get them in larger size also.
    I have used these to tape my tank background on so I can easily tape it to the back without all the fuss of wetting it down and squeegee it even and I can flip it and have a nice white background.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’m not a fan of the canopy top. To me glass, plastic or acrylic is better and easier. Does the canopy need to be removed to work on the tank?
    No. There's a hinge on the front for feeding and maintenance. It bends the canopy in half.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by igotgats View Post

I have an 125 Ga!lon tank with 2 HOB Aqua Clear 70 instead of the larger 110 AC filter because the canopy couldn't clear the higher 110 AC.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 08-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.