AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Feeding 2x per day: timing

Registered Member

Default Feeding 2x per day: timing

My wife and I both work. I just bought a 90g tank, and am in the planning stages. I generally have the lights turn on in my tanks right before we get home, so that we can enjoy the lights on.

With feeding Discus 2x per day, how does this work? Can you feed with the lights off in the morning, and then in the evening?

Or do you feed 2x after the lights come on, just spreading the feedings out with the lights on?

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Feeding 2x per day: timing

I am assuming that these are adult discus. The discus will eat whenever the food is available. You can just have natural (or overhead) light. The turning on the lights is for your benefit. If I were feeding 2x a day, I would feed prior to leaving for work; and again, after work. When are you doing your water changes? What are you feeding?

Real Name
    Tom

You can also get a 24/7 light which runs like a sunny day. Always some color light on in the tank. If you feed before going to work your fish will adjust to this and be waiting. Again twice a day is only for adult discus. 2-5” will need at least 4 times a day.

Registered Member

Buy a $15 eheim autofeeder. Have it drop a feeding of granules (such as Sera or Royal Menu) in there once or twice during the day. It's a great investment for vacations too.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    You can also get a 24/7 light which runs like a sunny day. Always some color light on in the tank. If you feed before going to work your fish will adjust to this and be waiting. Again twice a day is only for adult discus. 2-5” will need at least 4 times a day.
    Forgot about smaller ones. Can I get an auto feeder that feeds 2-3 times during the day, and then I can feed when I'm home?
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I am assuming that these are adult discus. The discus will eat whenever the food is available. You can just have natural (or overhead) light. The turning on the lights is for your benefit. If I were feeding 2x a day, I would feed prior to leaving for work; and again, after work. When are you doing your water changes? What are you feeding?
    Tank is currently empty. I'm doing all of my research / Qs now.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by igotgats View Post
    Forgot about smaller ones. Can I get an auto feeder that feeds 2-3 times during the day, and then I can feed when I'm home?
    This auto feeder i purchased many years ago allows me to feed as many portions as i want simply by inserting the red tabs on the center dial. I even use it when l'm home to deliver a single portion of granules, as well as multiple portions when l'm away as shown in the picture. It has served me well and without fail.

100_0006.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Eheim's auto-feeder can be programmed for up to 4 feedings per day, and you can set it to spin the camber several times each feeding as well