ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Metro?

Default Alternative to Metro?

Hello, I am coming back to the hobby and will brind a few discus to a tank that is currently empty and cycling.

I want to treat the discus preventively for worms and hexamita. I can get Panacur (Fenbendazole) easily, but Metronidazole is more complicated because I would need a vet/doctor prescription (I live in Brazil and this medicine is restricted here).

Is there an effective alternative to Metronidazole?

Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Alternative to Metro?

Metronidazole is the only effective treatment for Hexamita. There is a newer drug in human medicine sometimes used as a substitute for metro called tinidazole, but you would also need a prescription to get it.
    What's so complicated about getting a vet to write a prescription for metronidazole? Or, maybe you could order metronidazole in the U.S. or Mexico and have it shipped to Brazil?

Raise the water temp to 93 and leave it there for two weeks. That alone will do the job on the hex. Heat resistant hex exists but it is pretty rare.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It's very likely any nitroimidazole would work and there are a lot of them.

Pigeon people use several that aquarists have never even heard of (secnidazole, carnidazole, ronidazole, dimetridazole, etc). They overused and underdosed them for years and then created resistant organisms that are resistant to all nitroimidazoles available to them and now have to resort to megadoses and combination therapy.

The aquarium hobby is on the same path.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

Pigeon people use several that aquarists have never even heard of (secnidazole, carnidazole, ronidazole, dimetridazole, etc). They overused and underdosed them for years and then created resistant organisms that are resistant to all nitroimidazoles available to them and now have to resort to megadoses and combination therapy.

"Pigeon people". Interesting. Makes me wonder may we call those who fancy pigeon blood discus "pigeon people" as well? Are these medications exclusive to pigeons only or are they effective for chicken people, love bird people, parakeet people, etc who raise their special birds?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------

Megalodon, do you think the reasonable thing to do is not to quarantine the new fish? To avoid overmedication?

I think I am going with the 93oF alternative...

Thanks for the help everyone

Real Name
    Francis

What I read Raise temperature to 35 degree celsius for 7 days to treat Hexamitosis ( Sprronucleosis) by Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, is a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology.Page 193

Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment.....Dr.Eward J. Noga.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Metronidazole is the only effective treatment for Hexamita. There is a newer drug in human medicine sometimes used as a substitute for metro called tinidazole, but you would also need a prescription to get it.
    What's so complicated about getting a vet to write a prescription for metronidazole? Or, maybe you could order metronidazole in the U.S. or Mexico and have it shipped to Brazil?
    It's not that complicated if you can find the right vet. It just costs $75.00 to look at a vet here where I live. And they even might want you to bring the fish in, not quite like a cat/dry pet. It's the extra cost and hassle.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    It's not that complicated if you can find the right vet. It just costs $75.00 to look at a vet here where I live. And they even might want you to bring the fish in, not quite like a cat/dry pet. It's the extra cost and hassle.
    I guess I'm the right vet. I dispense metro all the time to fish owners to treat their fish without charging an office call. The only time I have anyone bring a fish in is to get antibiotic injections or have surgery. Most people cause so much stress trying to bring a fish into a clinic, they caused more harm than good.

In his book; Fish Disease: diagnosis and treatment, Edward J. Noga also mentions treating hexamita (spironucleus) orally with Magnesium sulphate.

Registered Member

I guess I'm the right vet. I dispense metro all the time to fish owners to treat their fish without charging an office call. The only time I have anyone bring a fish in is to get antibiotic injections or have surgery. Most people cause so much stress trying to bring a fish into a clinic, they caused more harm than good.
    Steve, would one of my local vets have Metro and would it be less expensive to purchase from a vet as apposed to online store?

Real Name
    Francis

In Canada as of Dec 2018 .all medications for fish disease treatment will no longer be sold in stores. Hobbyists will be required to get a prescription from a vet...super inconvenient and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Steve, would one of my local vets have Metro and would it be less expensive to purchase from a vet as apposed to online store?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Steve

Yes any local small animal vet would have metro in stock. But it would only be 250mg or 500mg tablets that you would have to crush before adding to the tank. It's probably cheaper and easier here in the U.S. to order the powder form online to use on fish.You would just have to wait a few days to get it and pay for shipping. It would also be up to the vet to decide if he's going to charge a consultation fee or dispensing fee on top of the cost of the pills. Like Mervin said, it depends on the vet. If you already have a relationship with a vet clinic in your area, I bet they would only charge for the metro without adding any other fees.

It's too bad it's so hard to get metro in other countries just to use on fish. I guess we're spoiled here in the U.S. We can buy metro online without a script.

Registered Member

"Pigeon people". Interesting. Makes me wonder may we call those who fancy pigeon blood discus "pigeon people" as well? Are these medications exclusive to pigeons only or are they effective for chicken people, love bird people, parakeet people, etc who raise their special birds?
    No, drugs are drugs for the most part. If you want to find dimetridazole for your fish or toltrazuril for your rabbit the only OTC sources in the US are pigeon supplies. I've used toltrazuril for my non-pigeon bird who apparently had a coccidiosis.

Aren't you required to physically see patients before prescribing anything?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discobolus of Myron View Post
    Megalodon, do you think the reasonable thing to do is not to quarantine the new fish? To avoid overmedication?

I think I am going with the 93oF alternative...
    I think quarantine isn't as useful as people think. Especially since most aquarists only quarantine and observe not quarantine and treat.

One paper suggested that of all the parasites, hexamita was the one common enough to warrant automatic treatment of new fish.

People use General Cure for aerobic bacterial infections and just about anything under the sun. It's probably underdosed as well. I would only use it if there was a good chance flagellated protozoa were involved (hexamita, ich, ichthyobodo, etc.).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast