ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to Discus from Michigan

Registered Member

Default New to Discus from Michigan

Hi everyone,

Enjoying this site so far.

I got into fish keeping in 2005. Started with FO freshwater tank. Then, ventured into a Biocube reef tank. And then eventually turned that Biocube into a planted tank. I've had a couple other planted tanks as well. So, the only other thing I haven't tackled is Discus.

Just bought a 90g tank on Thursday for this purpose. I'm honestly torn. I love planted tanks, but I really want to do a biotype Discus tank: sand, and a bunch of driftwood. Maybe some Anubias tied to the driftwood to get my plant fix....but not 100% sure yet.

Tank is tempered, so I can't drill for a sump. Excited nonetheless...

I appreciate all the advice I've already received so far. Looking forward to asking more questions, and searching some more info out.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Registered Member

Default Re: New to Discus from Michigan

Best of luck to you. You have had some thoughtful questions so far. It will be enjoyable to watch your journey from here on.

Real Name
    Willie

No Anubias in a discus biotype, no plants for that matter.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Plants and aqua-scape is 100% for human indulgent and satisfaction. I have viewed enough video to realize that our discus in their wild habitat have nothing that we as humans would accept as pleasing. Brownish water with large amounts or floating sentiment and dead branches and roots. I would venture to guess that those wild cousins could not see more than 10 feet in any direction much less know there was a bottom to their home. On the other hand bare tanks are boring for us decorative minded humans. Hence the plants. One of my bare tanks has a branch where the pleco lives and the fish congregate around. The other has a flower pot. None of those fish seem to care about any of it. I would like to have the planted tank but I also do not want to deal with more maintenance than the required water changes.

Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Welcome to SD mate! Lots of info here.
    Our site sponsors supply top shelf discus when you're ready to buy. All are expert shippers, and Dennis Discus Fish is in BG Ohio so you could drive there and hand pick your fish! I believe he has or is getting a fresh shipment very soon.
    Keep us posted of your progress and questions

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I notice that you moved the 4 day old cup of Lawn Lager to this tank and you took a sip as well. You may well have a candidate for the Fall issue for Better Aquariums and Gardens magazine there, Tom.

Registered Member

Awesome tank, man. Truly inspiring. That STAND! Oh my....love it!
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you! Many anubias in there. But not a bio-type . Looking forward to see your tank. As stated great sellers on here!
    Come on peewee that’s a fresh batch!! Brewed by Al himself! All I had to do was add water .

Registered Member

Thank you! Many anubias in there. But not a bio-type . Looking forward to see your tank. As stated great sellers on here!
    Come on peewee that’s a fresh batch!! Brewed by Al himself! All I had to do was add water .
    Al? How would one go about getting one's hands on the almighty Al Ale? And is the ale best when one adds tap water or tank water to it?

Real Name
    Tom

Tank water of course! But than again I do have Long Island water!!