Default Re: Roy's 30 Gallon Red Spot Green Discus F1

Stunning Roy!! Those discus are gorgeous
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @Shan_Evolved,

I have been in the hobby a long time, long before all of the red and yellow variants started to show up. I think the most advanced discus I first saw was the "Blue Heckel" but most often they were wild. There were very few breeders of discus at the time. I have always enjoyed the colors mother nature gave the species, that is why I chose these as the first discus to keep. -Roy

Registered Member

So far you are putting all the nay sayers to shame.
    Let's see how the discus do in a year!
    You have fabulous growth on the plants despite the
    warm temperature. Do you attribute that to the ferts
    and the water changes?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi All,

Just an update on my "juvies" which are about 17 months old (born last week Feb. 2020). I received them the first week of August, 2020 They continue to grow, eat, and do fine with no issues of disease or lack of appetite. The 55 Cardinal Tetras are also doing fine they like to clean up the pieces of FD Tubifex Worms, frozen brine shrimp with Spirulina algae, and frozen bloodworms. The reason for the post today is the breeder just let me know earlier this week that he had the first spawn from the brothers and sisters of my fish. Unfortunately it occurred in a tank with several other discus and some dither fish and Corydoras resulting in the eggs disappearing overnight......but it is good to know that the fish are approaching breeding age. BTW, all seven (7) are in there even though there are just five in the picture. Enjoy your summer everyone! -Roy

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good Roy. Tank looks spotless. How big are the discus now? Maybe the other 2 are spawning back by the filter somewhere

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @danotaylor,

Thank you, no not showing any signs of sexual behavior yet but hopefully sometime in the future. I asked the breeder how big this species gets and he said he saw adults in Iquitos and they are not as large as the 'power fed' domestic strains we see in the hobby today. Hi original pair of "wilds" and the other "wilds" he brought which were not full grown when shipped back have stopped growing and are about the size of my hand with all the fingers spread.......so not as large as the domestics I have seen. Mine are still growing but are probably about 3/4 that size at the moment. -Roy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
    Hi @danotaylor,

Thank you, no not showing any signs of sexual behavior yet but hopefully sometime in the future. I asked the breeder how big this species gets and he said he saw adults in Iquitos and they are not as large as the 'power fed' domestic strains we see in the hobby today. Hi original pair of "wilds" and the other "wilds" he brought which were not full grown when shipped back have stopped growing and are about the size of my hand with all the fingers spread.......so not as large as the domestics I have seen. Mine are still growing but are probably about 3/4 that size at the moment. -Roy
    Hi, Roy. Very nice. Thanks for the update. Did the breeder say if there were going to be any available? And when is the next GSAS meeting? Norm

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @nah (aka Norm)

He now has two proven pairs; one pair is breeding fairly regularly, they are 'wilds'. The original pair of 'wilds' are breeding very infrequently. He also has a pair of unproven F1's that have bred but in a tank with other discus and the eggs disappeared the first night. There will likely be F1's showing up locally before the end of the year, possibly in a few months, in local store(s). We are hoping to have our first 'in person' meeting the second Tuesday in September, I am awaiting feedback from SPU if it is going to happen and what COVID protocol criteria they are going to mandate. The Delta Variant is not making re-opening a 'sure thing'. Here is a picture of the 'wilds' that breed regularly.

Roy, you have never mentioned the name of the breeder. Is it a secret or will you tell us?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @LizStreithorst

I'm not trying to promote a particular breeder; just trying to reacquaint folks with the beauty of the original wild species of the genus we all enjoy. I remember seeing my first discus 50+ years ago but have never had the time to do the maintenance I felt the species needed until a year ago when I started this journey. I do have to say the F1's are much hardier than I thought they would be, even in a planted tank. -Roy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Y

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Roy, you have never mentioned the name of the breeder. Is it a secret or will you tell us?
    Think that the tank belongs to Dean, the master breeder, who is associated with Aquarium co-op.
    He is a great fish keeper and greatly admire his fish keeping methods.

Robert

Thank you Robert.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Found Dean’s wild discus on YouTube .

Grasshopper
    Francis

Thank you Francis.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi All,

Thought you might enjoy an update on the 30 gallon where this all started. I've been raising some F1 Red Spt Green Discus from Rio Nanay (Symphysodon aequifasciatus) for about a year. They started in this 30 gallon for about six months and then I moved them from my 30 gallon to my 75 gallon on 02/24/21 but the tank continues. Right now it is a retirement home for my Melanotaenia praecox.

The plants have matured nicely. Still dosing four (4) DIY Osmocote Plus tabs, Seachem Comprehensive for micro-nutrients, and a little potassium sulfate and my DIY mix of ETDA, DTPA, and ferrous gluconate iron and mono-potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) to avoid issues with GSA (Green Spot Algae). Hope you are all enjoying your summer! -Roy

OK, and here is the obligatory update on the 75 gallon, lol.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast