ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on Filtration system

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Default Recommendations on Filtration system

Hello group,

I'm looking to set up a 100g tank, and I want to provide the best available filtration in the market for this DT. I know that it is all relative to the stock but I am keeping it simple: 100 gallon, 7-8 adult (6"+) discus, 2 corydora, 3 small plecos. substrate is white sand, piece of drift wood and a couple Anubias. Simple. I was thinking of going with 2 sponge filters (one in each side of the tank) plus a canister filter (Fluval FX-6). But I've heard that the FX-6 would be overkill (???). Should I go with a strong HOB filter instead of FX-6? Just wanted to hear your thoughts and what everyone does in your large DT's! Thank you and hope everyone is doing well.

Luiz.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Recommendations on Filtration system

I’m running a 125 with the fx6 and a powerhead with 2 sponges. It moves 350gph. I clean the fx6 every 2 months. Overkill! I don’t think so. It’s actually an easy filter to work on. Put a sponge on the intake and it will probably be enough. My tank has 13 discus and about 20 dither fish + rcs and mts. Plenty of plants .

Real Name
    Brendan

If the budget allows, go the fx6. Personally I’m not a fan of HOBs or sponge filters.
    I run two fx6s on my 180g.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Hi Brendan,

Budgeting is not the issues, honestly, I am more concerned about the aesthetics: the aquarium sits high and those large hoses from the FX6 would look weird on the wall. I've only seen pictures of it, but are they really big/thick? do you think that it could be a way to "hide" these hoses/tubing?

Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    If the budget allows, go the fx6. Personally I’m not a fan of HOBs or sponge filters.
    I run two fx6s on my 180g.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Funny how people differ. I love HOBs and use two AC110s for each large tank (75g And 60G). I also am a sump lover and have sumps for all my tanks. I actually got rid of my FX units a ways back. Both sumps and HOBs are very easy to service and do the job well for me. Sumps are limitless in possibilities of filtration options and the larger AC 110 HOBs are pretty versatile as well....imho.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I'd totally recommend HOB over canisters too. Value wise, HOBs just can't be beaten. The marineland penguin 350 go for $20 which is a fraction of the price of a fx6 ($250). Sponges are also great, as they are simple and unlike HOBs don't have to change cartridges. Might be ugly with a big black sponge in tank though.

Real Name
    Tom

Johnny remove the cartridge and add a sponge. Do one side one month that the other the next month. Never need cartridges again. I’ve got 3 marinelands running now. Just great cheap filters!!

Real Name
    Bill G.

Before I went w AC 110s, I, too, used Marineland 350s and 400s w great success. The 110s, though, hold so much more media/surface area of one’s choice. I put the large sponge in w a few bags of biohome/matrix and cleaning them is a breeze once in a while. Btw....I still have my Marinelands as backups. The 110s can be slowed a bit when feeding then turned up afterwards and I do use a presponge on the intake tubes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Funny how people differ. I love HOBs and use two AC110s for each large tank (75g And 60G). I also am a sump lover and have sumps for all my tanks. I actually got rid of my FX units a ways back. Both sumps and HOBs are very easy to service and do the job well for me. Sumps are limitless in possibilities of filtration options and the larger AC 110 HOBs are pretty versatile as well....imho.
    Hey Bill,

You know... I've been studying and reading about that. I never had an open sump filter before, but now I think that's going to be my choice. Thanks for bring that up! Do you think it makes it easier on your WC schedule?

Luiz.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Yes it really helps. My nitrates usually hover between 10-15 between changes. Do know that my sumps are large and maximized for each tank. My 75g tank has over a 1200g hourly turn over Rate with the two AC 110s and sump. When I do my course sand vacuuming at each WC, there is hardly any gunk or disturbance.

Here is a link to a couple of pics and data abt the sumps.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ll+Garthe+sump

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Losago1980 View Post
    Hi Brendan,

Budgeting is not the issues, honestly, I am more concerned about the aesthetics: the aquarium sits high and those large hoses from the FX6 would look weird on the wall. I've only seen pictures of it, but are they really big/thick? do you think that it could be a way to "hide" these hoses/tubing?

Luiz
    Not sure I understand completely. Why would the hoses be visible in your setup?
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Brendan

Perhaps I don’t fully understand the love for hobs. My interpretation/experience is that, the hobs are smaller, less flow and can’t have anywhere near the biological capacity of the fx6. Even if you ran 3 or 4 of them on a tank to the equivalent biological filtration capacity, what about flow? Don’t get me wrong, they’re probably fine for the smaller aquariums, I’m referring to larger ones here. Please note this is not an argument, just looking to learn something

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Bill G.

Your issues have merit and are not taken as argumentative. The three things I have concerns with regarding canisters are as follows.
    1. Leaks.....rare though they are, can be frustrating.
    2. I have backup power for my tanks, but with a prolonged outage, hydrogen sulfide can build up in a large canister. If you do experience a long outage, unplug your canister so that the polluted water does not go into tank. Just backflush your unit upon start up, then switch it to normal filtration.
    3. This is my biggest concern. Many, including I in the past, who setup a canister just let it run for long periods wo cleaning. Even if it looks clean when cleaning, there tends to be a nitrate factory function. Any filter (canister, HOB, or sump) used needs regular cleaning to remove the building blocks for nitrate production which are the trapped material in the foam sponges and even bioballs if used. Putting biohome or matrix in can help for anaerobic action/nitrate reduction, but cleaning canisters is much more arduous imho. With HOBs, cleaning is a breeze and thus I do it more often. My FX unit had a flow rate of 550g per hour. Each of the AC 110s has a flow rate of 300g per hour. Note.....my flow rates are based on a unit with media in it. The numbers for both would be much higher wo media in them. Water entering the tank also gets oxygenated well w HOBs and surface agitation.

I’m putting cost aside, but it is a factor. When I used my FX, I also had to buy spare parts for when needed. Lastly, I like being able to see the filtering. With canisters, I had no way of knowing, short of NO3 tests, of when or if I needed to clean. HOBs can easily be seen regarding whether they need cleaning or not. Now....others have opinions that differ from mine and that’s fine. I’m just sharing the reasons why I no longer use my FX and am happy with the sump/HOBs combination for each tank. My HOBs largely do mech and aerobic action with my sumps doing additional mech, aerobic, and anaerobic action.

I have to apologize for my earlier posting of this where I wrongly said it was argumentative.....I thought to type “not” in the first sentence, but skipped doing so by mistake. Your comments were in no way argumentative and I errored by not completely double checking my post prior to posting. Brendon....I regret having made the error and hope you accept my sincere apology.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 08-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

I think the reason for the unsightly hoses would be they have no background on the tank. So you see the hoses going up the back.
    As to canisters I too don’t care for them. The fx6 is new and I got it on sale so I’m taking the chance. And very happy so far. Others canisters I’ve had have leaked! Just to many places to leak from and with the intake almost at the bottom there’s always that disaster. Hobs leak much less. For me I’ve never had one leak. As to not seeing if a canister needs to be cleaned. I clean mine every 2 months no matter what. Yes it could go longer. Hobs I usually run 2 and clean 1 every other week.
    Another really good hob is the tidal filters. I have a 110 on my 90 with a marineland 350 and the tidal is soundless and has a huge media basket.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Your issues have merit and are not taken as argumentative. The three things I have concerns with regarding canisters are as follows.
    1. Leaks.....rare though they are, can be frustrating.
    2. I have backup power for my tanks, but with a prolonged outage, hydrogen sulfide can build up in a large canister. If you do experience a long outage, unplug your canister so that the polluted water does not go into tank. Just backflush your unit upon start up, then switch it to normal filtration.
    3. This is my biggest concern. Many, including I in the past, who setup a canister just let it run for long periods wo cleaning. Even if it looks clean when cleaning, there tends to be a nitrate factory function. Any filter (canister, HOB, or sump) used needs regular cleaning to remove the building blocks for nitrate production which are the trapped material in the foam sponges and even bioballs if used. Putting biohome or matrix in can help for anaerobic action/nitrate reduction, but cleaning canisters is much more arduous imho. With HOBs, cleaning is a breeze and thus I do it more often. My FX unit had a flow rate of 550g per hour. Each of the AC 110s has a flow rate of 300g per hour. Note.....my flow rates are based on a unit with media in it. The numbers for both would be much higher wo media in them. Water entering the tank also gets oxygenated well w HOBs and surface agitation.

I’m putting cost aside, but it is a factor. When I used my FX, I also had to buy spare parts for when needed. Lastly, I like being able to see the filtering. With canisters, I had no way of knowing, short of NO3 tests, of when or if I needed to clean. HOBs can easily be seen regarding whether they need cleaning or not. Now....others have opinions that differ from mine and that’s fine. I’m just sharing the reasons why I no longer use my FX and am happy with the sump/HOBs combination for each tank. My HOBs largely do mech and aerobic action with my sumps doing additional mech, aerobic, and anaerobic action.

I have to apologize for my earlier posting of this where I wrongly said it was argumentative.....I thought to type “not” in the first sentence, but skipped doing so by mistake. Your comments were in no way argumentative and I errored by not completely double checking my post prior to posting. Brendon....I regret having made the error and hope you accept my sincere apology.
    I’m reposting this hoping, by sequence, that Brendon and anyone else who read my recent post and may have been offended are assured that I merely made a mistake and I wish to make it right. I goofed and regret it....sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast