AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mega Siphon and equipment upgrade

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Mega Siphon and equipment upgrade

So I went to Bunnings the other day and did some spontaneous shopping... I bought a transfer pump to replace the submersible. This way I don’t have to put the whole pump into the tank to drain it, as well as the associated noises and mess that goes with it. All I have now is the black hose shown in the photo which sucks like a mega siphon and can drain the tank fairly quickly too. Then refill is a simple flick of the switch with the clear hose, coming from the aging barrels outside. This means the office (where the tanks are) is cleaner, slightly less water on the floor and will save me time.
    I also added an additional aging barrel over the weekend(which is linked to the other barrel), which now gives me a total of 600L of aged water to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Mega Siphon and equipment upgrade

Looks good. Unfortunately our weather here prevents me from taking your set up and doing it here. My aging/heated/aerated supply has to be a 45g Brut garbage can. The discharged water goes into another Brut on wheels to bring it to the kitchen sink. I do have submersible pumps w attached hoses in each can for easy emptying aged water into tank or discarded water to sink. My third Brut is 32g and again on wheels w pump/hose to bring tap and RO to the aging can. At least I no longer have to lug 5g buckets anymore.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim kuhn

I too use Brute trash cans, 2 of them, a 55 gal and a 45 both on wheels. I siphon into a 45 gallon Brute and pump it out the window into a 275 gallon storage container, when it is near full I pump it via a bottom drain onto my lawn and gardens. . With the 55 gal. brute I have a RO system that drains into it which us then pumped into my tanks for a 50/50 mix with faucet water to which I i add Prime. I am finishing the room now with 2 90's, 2 75's 2 50's and 4 29's. My smaller tanks will go elsewhere.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim kuhn

I too use Brute trash cans, 2 of them, a 55 gal and a 45 both on wheels. I siphon into a 45 gallon Brute and pump it out the window into a 275 gallon storage container, when it is near full I pump it via a bottom drain onto my lawn and gardens. . With the 55 gal. brute I have a RO system that drains into it which us then pumped into my tanks for a 50/50 mix with faucet water to which I i add Prime. I am finishing the room now with 2 90's, 2 75's 2 50's and 4 29's. My smaller tanks will go elsewhere.

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Looks good. Unfortunately our weather here prevents me from taking your set up and doing it here. My aging/heated/aerated supply has to be a 45g Brut garbage can. The discharged water goes into another Brut on wheels to bring it to the kitchen sink. I do have submersible pumps w attached hoses in each can for easy emptying aged water into tank or discarded water to sink. My third Brut is 32g and again on wheels w pump/hose to bring tap and RO to the aging can. At least I no longer have to lug 5g buckets anymore.
    I think regardless of how we all do it, given our circumstances, our end goal is the same. NO BUCKETS hahaha
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]