AquaticSuppliers.com     Kenny's Discus

Thread: Kenny's Discus - August Order (6 Discus)

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Kenny's Discus - August Order (6 Discus)

Picked up my Discus order today! Here are some photos shortly after acclimation.

Name:  Beachside.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  499.5 KB
    Name:  Beachside-2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  142.1 KB
    Name:  Beachside-3.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  591.8 KB
    Name:  Beachside-4.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  493.4 KB
    Name:  Beachside-5.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  639.8 KB

Couple of Notes -- I prepped this tank just for Kenny's Discus (75 gallons, planted tank) -- I removed all my fish a week before. Will slowly start add previous corydoras, amano shrimp, and siamese algae eaters in a few weeks after a traditional quarantine of Aquarium Co-Op's Quarantine Trio.

Super surprised how active they are right after acclimation. Still a little bit shy which is typical, but was willing to eat some bloodworms tonight surprisingly!

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Re: Kenny's Discus - August Order (6 Discus)

Nice collection of discus you made there. Like you, I also chose the pigeon snakeskin and it looks exquisite with its fine lines. On the other hand, my discus were really shy after acclimation unlike yours. Perhaps I don't have the best water conditions as my biofilter isn't yet established. Really liking the planted tank especially the foreground lawn. Is that monte carlo?

Registered Member
    iTrader

A nice 6 pack of Kenny fish. Nice photos too.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Nice collection of discus you made there. Like you, I also chose the pigeon snakeskin and it looks exquisite with its fine lines. On the other hand, my discus were really shy after acclimation unlike yours. Perhaps I don't have the best water conditions as my biofilter isn't yet established. Really liking the planted tank especially the foreground lawn. Is that monte carlo?
    Hope you'll discus will start getting used to the surroundings and show beautiful colors. Yes, it's monte carlo. I've been growing it out for a couple of months now. Hoping it'll cover the entire substrate eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    A nice 6 pack of Kenny fish. Nice photos too.
    Thank you!

Registered Member
    iTrader

They are looking great and awesome shots!

-Brandon G.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar
    iTrader
    372 (100%)

Jason,

Thank you for your order and feedback, I greatly appreciate it! You take beautiful shots of these new arrivals. I look forward to seeing updated pics of them again. Hope you enjoy growing them!

Thanks,
    Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jason

Name:  Beachside.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  646.3 KB

Decided to give some updated pictures to this post. I've had Kenny's Discus for about 3 weeks now. I bought 6 discus from Kenny.

2 orders of 4"+/- Blue Tiger Turquoise
    2 orders of 3.5-4" Leopard w/ring gene
    2 orders of 4" Super Pigeon Snakeskin

All 6 are alive and well as of today. I'm keeping them in a 75 gallon planted tank with C02 at 2 bubbles per second. I'm keeping the temperature at 82 degrees since I'm dealing with plants also. I dose Aquarium Co-Op's Fertlizer and Iron twice a day. I initially changed 50% water every 3 days, but once I noticed the discus becoming more shy and passive, I bumped it up to 50% every 2 days and I saw a huge improvement in activeness. I'

I feed them 3-4 times a day. Mixture of Xtreme Kill Flakes, Xtreme Spirulina Flakes, and Hikara Vibra Bites at 8:00 A.M. in the morning. Beef Heart at 11:30 A.M. Myosis Shrimp at 2:30 P.M. Hikari Bloodworms at around 6:00 P.M.

My biggest challenges with raising discus in a planted tank is maintaining the plant growth as well as making sure my discus are comfortable. Granted, I knew the challenges before taking on this feat -- but it's been a fun and adventurous journey for me. My top priority is keeping the discus healthy and plants second. I've noticed an increase in algae growth in my plants, but that was expected since I'm changing the water so often. I'm now testing how much fertilizer and iron I need to add to mitigate this issue while maintaining the water changes. One of my blue turquoise has become the alpha of the group and he's grown the most out of all of them reaching to almost 5 inches in less than a month! The two super pigeon snakeskin are fighting to be beta it seems like (too soon to tell). Leaving the other blue turquoise, which seems to be content where it is and the two Leopard w/ ring gene as the last two. The leopoard w/ ring gene are the two smallest and having the hardest time adjusting as expected. When I increased the frequency of my water changes, they have become more active and more willing to explore the tank. However, they're still hiding frequently which I'm trying my best to solve.

When it comes to tank mates, there are 5 siamese algae eaters, 6 corydras, and 2 albino bushynose plecos. The reason why I wrote this reply is to show how I'm maintaining my discus tank as well as possibly providing insight to those who are looking to raise discus in a planted tank. Feel free to give me additional advice as well! I'm always open to new ideas. This hobby is constantly evolving (arguably one of my favorite parts about it) and I don't think any insight or advice is useless. Hope everyone is staying safe and well during these times and best of luck to your discus/aquarium jouneys!

Registered Member
    iTrader

A very nice and well structured report. Three weeks seems not enough time for the fish to setting in. Be patient would be my suggestion.